Transmission Slipping...Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission Slipping...Suggestions?

I've got a bone-stock 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis LS. The transmission was rebuilt by the previous owner at 107,053 miles. It has a little over 150,000 miles now, so the transmission has had about 50,000 miles put on it since the rebuild ten years back. Everything worked great until today when I was returning from Massachusetts to New York on the tollway. I entered a toll plaza and, when I drove off, the car's transmission started slipping. As long as I eased it along I could go 65 or so with no problem, and as far as I can tell it was in OD (I don't have a tachometer, of course, but the engine didn't sound as if it was revving very high). But if I did anything more than the most extremely gentle acceleration from a stop[, I got slippage. If I went up a hill and needed to accelerate, it wasn't going to happen. The car didn't seem to downshift like it normally does when going up hills, or perhaps it was slipping so badly I couldn't accelerate. What is weird is the suddenness of it. One minute everything is perfectly fine, the next it isn't. I baby this car (no sudden take-offs, drive it at about 55 in my area, 65-70 on the highway). It has been getting 22 mpg or more and the transmission fluid is clear, clean and right where it is supposed to be. No burned smell, no signs of leakage. The car used less than half a tank to go two hundred miles on this trip from my house in upstate New York to the Hartford airport and back again. Any ideas of things to check before I take it to a transmission shop? A rebuild was $1500 ten years ago; I hate to think of how much it must be now.
    sigpic1989 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

Is the TV bushing still on the linkage? The factory one is plastic and deteriates with the heat of the manifold. If it goes and you drive the car too long (not long at all once it goes) you WILL need a rebuild. There is a dealer or aftermarket one that is brass so I would check that first, replace if needed and try the car. If it still slips then it is rebuild time. Check out the other post on this board that refer to this.....Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

I checked and the cable was hanging loose. The bushing had disintegrated. I did a funky temporary zip-tie job (don't ask) and took it down the road a half mile or so. It shifted normally, "clunking" into overdrive like it always has. When I slowed down to turn around I figured the ties must have fallen off because it shifted as it did on the way home. I got back and sure enough, the cable was dangling again. Assuming I don't drive it again until I get a proper bushing and it shifts normally as it did a few moments ago, how long do I have before it is toast? I figure I must have done a fair amount of damage on the way home, since I drove it at least fifty miles or so, twenty-five of those at about 70 and twenty five at about 55, and based on other postings it sounds like it doesn't take very long to fry the transmission when that happens. What do you think?
      Last edited by molson63; 07-15-2012, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by molson63 View Post
        I checked and the cable was hanging loose. The bushing had disintegrated. I did a funky temporary zip-tie job (don't ask) and took it down the road a half mile or so. It shifted normally, "clunking" into overdrive like it always has. When I slowed down to turn around I figured the ties must have fallen off because it shifted as it did on the way home. I got back and sure enough, the cable was dangling again. Assuming I don't drive it again until I get a proper bushing and it shifts normally as it did a few moments ago, how long do I have before it is toast? I figure I must have done a fair amount of damage on the way home, since I drove it at least fifty miles or so, twenty-five of those at about 70 and twenty five at about 55, and based on other postings it sounds like it doesn't take very long to fry the transmission when that happens. What do you think?

Making sure you have the brass TV grommet is the FIRST thing you check when buying a box!

On my old 91 marq, it fell off while driving home once. Less than 20 miles and 3rd and OD never engaged again.
        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Please DO NOT drive it again until the bushing is in. Even if you can only get a plastic one for now don't "jerry rig it". No way of knowing if damage was done or how much. Replace the bushing and PRAY!! Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

Well, I'm a pastor so maybe that will help.... I'll pick up a bushing tomorrow. Is the brass bushing something I can just ask for at NAPA (as in, "I need a brass bushing for a 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis TV cable") or do I have to know a part number? Thanks for all the help so far!

Comment

BTW I know it was slipping but I got over 25 mpg on the trip...maybe that is a good sign?

Comment

BTW I know it was slipping but I got over 25 mpg on the trip...maybe that is a good sign?
                A slipping transmission is never a good thing.
                '79 Continental Town Car
                '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

This should help!! Bobby

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00052.html

Comment

if you cant get one from a local ford dealer or a trans shop try this link.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...oogle-shopping

Click image for larger version

Name:	lrs-7303a_2520.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	1269523

i would also change the transmission fluid and filter also........and pray!

if you have to have one asap the plastic bushing that the car originally had is available on the Help! rack at most parts stores, comes in a pack of assorted bushings, but like others said, the nylon ones do not last cause of the heat.

good luck and God bless!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I ordered the part using the link from Lincolnmania (thanks!). It should be here by the end of the week. Once it arrives I'll take it over to the garage and have the fluid and filter changed. I'm hopeful since when it was "jerry rigged" the transmission shifted perfectly normally. God watches over drunks and fools (I don't drink, so you can figure out which is which). Thanks again to everyone for your help.

Comment

Let us know how it turns out!! We're praying for you. Bobby

Comment

Well here is the initial report. I drove over to NAPA this morning in my other car and bought a standard bushing and installed it in the Mercury. I then drove it in the valley for about five miles and everything seems fine. It shifts smoothly with no smells or hesitation. The car shifts from 1st to 2nd at 15-20 mph, depending on how hard you are pushing the gas. It shifts from 2nd to 3rd at 30-40 mph, again depending on the relative rate of acceleration. By the time it reaches 45-55 it goes into overdrive. It clunks a bit doing that but it always has (that is to say, it is more noticeable shifting into overdrive than any of the other gears). Again, no smells, no sign of slippage. I then took it up the mountain, and parts of that road are at a ten-percent or better grade. It scooted right up the hill, again with no signs of slippage and nothing out of the ordinary. On the steepest parts it downshifted and accelerated smoothly. No problems descending down the mountain either. I stopped in to see my mechanic and he agreed to change the fluid and filter if I asked him to, but he wasn't sure he would do that if it were his car. His reasoning is that the clutches probably lost a fair amount of material which is now suspended in the fluid. That material is bad for some parts of the transmission but good for producing friction for the bands. It may be best, he said, to leave well enough alone and just keep a close eye on the transmission for signs of trouble. It might go for fifty miles like this or it might go for fifty thousand. I thought I'd post here again and ask what you all thought. I can see the value of taking out the old fluid and filter, but I understand what my mechanic is saying too. Again, he'll do the job, but in his opinion that may not be the best thing for the transmission. So what do you say?

Comment

I drove my 89 LTC without the bushing for about 8 miles (keeping speed very low and when I was going downhill putting it in neutral) the trans was fine. In my 89 MGM I didn't know what happened (owned this before the LTC) and was 40 miles from home. The tranny in that was gone and wouldn't hold 4th gear at any speed over 55.

Chances are you didn't smoke yours, but probably did some damage. Try to budget for a rebuild, just in case.
                            2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                            2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                            Past Panthers
                            1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                            if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

I stopped in to see my mechanic and he agreed to change the fluid and filter if I asked him to, but he wasn't sure he would do that if it were his car. His reasoning is that the clutches probably lost a fair amount of material which is now suspended in the fluid. That material is bad for some parts of the transmission but good for producing friction for the bands. It may be best, he said, to leave well enough alone and just keep a close eye on the transmission for signs of trouble. It might go for fifty miles like this or it might go for fifty thousand. I thought I'd post here again and ask what you all thought. I can see the value of taking out the old fluid and filter, but I understand what my mechanic is saying too. Again, he'll do the job, but in his opinion that may not be the best thing for the transmission. So what do you say?
                              Your mechanic sounds like he actually knows what he's talking about, and yes, that is all very good advice. If I were you, I personally wouldn't change it. I'd drive it and hope for the best.
                              2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                              2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                              2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                              1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Working...
                              X