Changing fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing fluid

Okay so I finally have all maintenance and repairs caught up on my merc. So I now have a ? I have had the car just over a year and have put 22,000 miles on it. The car currently has 104,500 miles on it. I have never changed the trans fluid and filter. The more I read about AOD's the more I fear that if I change the fluid it's just gonna die. The fluid currently looks and smells fine but I have no clue when it was last changed or if it ever has been. Also if I should change it should I also drain the torque converter or just drop the pan change the filter and top it off.
    2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

my 88 needed a soft parts rebuild and a couple hard parts at 110K. Been great ever since though. Drive it till it dumps and budget a rebuild.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thats what I kinda figured. I've got a neighbor who has 284,000 on his 86 town car, and it still has the original tranny and shifts smooth. But I'm sure he's kept up on fluid changes.
      2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

Comment

Seems everyone has a different take on it. One wise guy said change the fluid in the pan and filter, drive it for a month, and then have it flushed at a shop. One guy I spoke to personally, who ran a trans shop that serviced Cleveland cop cars, said change it every year or not at all.

I dunno.

Pete
        Originally posted by gadget73
        For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
        1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
        1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

I recommend taking yours to your favorite Ford dealership and have them flush the tranny properly. Just draining what's in the pan doesn't completely empty the tranny. Tranny flushes should be incorporated into your regular maintenance schedule as we all know automatic tranny's are very sensitive to heat and having old fluid circulating around mixed with a broken down viscosity rating is not good. (It's the same w/ changing your engine's oil). I had the tranny fluid flushed in my '91 a few yrs ago and the dealership did a fine job, no problems. If problems should arise after you flush it just deal with it one step at a time. That's all you can do.

Comment

Originally posted by MattDoscher View Post
            I recommend taking yours to your favorite Ford dealership and have them flush the tranny properly. Just draining what's in the pan doesn't completely empty the tranny. Tranny flushes should be incorporated into your regular maintenance schedule as we all know automatic tranny's are very sensitive to heat and having old fluid circulating around mixed with a broken down viscosity rating is not good. (It's the same w/ changing your engine's oil). I had the tranny fluid flushed in my '91 a few yrs ago and the dealership did a fine job, no problems. If problems should arise after you flush it just deal with it one step at a time. That's all you can do.
            I'd rather leave it working perfectly fine than pay my local for dealer $250 to change the fluid and possibly face a $2,000 rebuild at the same time.

Note $250 + fluid and filter is what my local ford dealer quoted me last august.

$2,000 for a rebuild was quoted by the only trans shop within 50 miles of me, and he's never done an aod before.

Comment

The only time changing the fluid kills the trans is if the trans was already on its deathbed. If your fluid is still sort of red and doesn't smell like roasted ass, just change it and you'll be OK. Do not flush it, drop the pan and drain the torque converter, replace the filter (with the gasket) and put it back together. 12 quarts of fluid and you're good. Usually I put 2 gallons in, start the car, run it through the gears, and then add a quart at a time till it gets to the proper level. Cycle it through the gears in between quarts to get the fluid all where it ought to be.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                The only time changing the fluid kills the trans is if the trans was already on its deathbed. If your fluid is still sort of red and doesn't smell like roasted ass, just change it and you'll be OK. Do not flush it, drop the pan and drain the torque converter, replace the filter (with the gasket) and put it back together. 12 quarts of fluid and you're good. Usually I put 2 gallons in, start the car, run it through the gears, and then add a quart at a time till it gets to the proper level. Cycle it through the gears in between quarts to get the fluid all where it ought to be.
                Sounds like a plan to me, I don't believe that mine is on it's deathbed being that it shifts perfectly fine and never slips.

Comment

Working...
                X