Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

suggested order for tightening up the slop...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

suggested order for tightening up the slop...

Now that I have a week of driving the '05 LSE in the same areas as I have driven my other vehicles, I am left wondering if there is a suggested pattern with the Panther platform to tighten up the slop on the HPP suspension.

I am presuming that the OEM Michelin tires have a lot of give in the sidewalls and that there is some stiffening to be gained by upgrading to a more performance-oriented tire.

I also know that factory shocks in general tend to suck, even when labeled as performance...the sole exception I have driven was the R-package Miatas that came from the factory with Bilsteins in place. Thirty days or thirty miles has applied to many new vehicles I have purchased...

And lastly, I have looked at the charts posted that reflect the spring rates for the HPP falling in between the "pacify the masses" packages and the police/severe service types of packages.

I'm not expecting to create a two-ton handling equivalent to the Miata, but I want to eliminate some of the roll I am experiencing. Even the truck (F350) doesn't wallow this much, and it is five-years old with little in the way of upgrades.

The question then becomes one of in which order most have upgraded the newer platforms...

Poly bushing on the sway bars, and poly endlinks for the sway bars will be the most effective upgrade. It's cheap, easy, and has very nice results.

Upgrading the rear sway bar to the ADCO 1" is a nice upgrade.

Next level is poly bushings for controle arms, front and rear.

If you are going to poly the controle arm bushing that would be the best time to upgrade the springs. Even without the springs though, having all poly bushings will significantly stiffen the ride.

Comment

Bilstein shocks/struts.

ADDCO swaybars.

And Yokohama tires.
      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

To be perfectly honest, I don't know about the yokohamas. I'm not all that impressed with the ride quality or the handeling. Not a bad tire by far, but I think a more solid performer would be better. When getting 245/60/R15 size tires your selection is pretty damn small though. It should be much easier for you to get a more performance oriented tire because of the 16" wheels.

Comment

I stand for the yokos, and I have the same brand as you.

GREAT tires.
          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic
            Upgrading the rear sway bar to the ADCO 1" is a nice upgrade.
            I thought the OEM on the HPP was already at least an inch...although admittedly I haven't got the brochure in front of me. All the website for the '06 seems to indicate is "heavy duty" and an upgraded front bar...no dimensions though.

I've not spent much time looking at what is available in either the stock tire sizes or the next bump up. 225/60/16 was the OEM offering, and they are fairly cheap Michelins (I've seen them online for just a shade over $100 a piece). The Falkens I really like have been discontinued and probably would look real out of place on the GM...but when fresh, damn those Azenis stuck like glue (I'm not sold on the replacements).

Any idea how much of the wallow I am getting might actually be due to the air-controlled stuff in the back? Turning it off is as simple as flipping the rocker switch in the trunk...

Comment

i believe the HPP bars are 21MM which is smaller than an inch
              http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
              http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Don't the Marauders come with like a 27mm rear bar? If so, one of those would be a nice upgrade if you can find someone upgrading from stock. Or just go with whatever those guys go to. The poly bushings and endlinks will also help a fair amount. I'd also upgrade the front bar if such a thing exists. A 1 3/16 solid front police bar should make a noticable difference.

And I'm sorta with Blaze about the Yokies. Mine have very soft sidewalls.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Re: suggested order for tightening up the slop...

Originally posted by michelle
                  Now that I have a week of driving the '05 LSE in the same areas as I have driven my other vehicles, I am left wondering if there is a suggested pattern with the Panther platform to tighten up the slop on the HPP suspension..."
                  This isn't an answer for your question, Michelle, but I dream about women like you. Are you married, do you have any sisters/daughters into cars like you are? Want to move up to the Northeast? I'm getting tired of my GF not understanding how the car or truck "feels" while driving them. "tightening up the slop...", I'm your biggest fan!!! Your man is a luck guy. Beauty and brains, I'm your biggest fan!!!

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                  Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
                  5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Re: suggested order for tightening up the slop...

Originally posted by N A
                    Originally posted by michelle
                    Now that I have a week of driving the '05 LSE in the same areas as I have driven my other vehicles, I am left wondering if there is a suggested pattern with the Panther platform to tighten up the slop on the HPP suspension..."
                    This isn't an answer for your question, Michelle, but I dream about women like you. Are you married, do you have any sisters/daughters into cars like you are? Want to move up to the Northeast? I'm getting tired of my GF not understanding how the car or truck "feels" while driving them. "tightening up the slop...", I'm your biggest fan!!! Your man is a luck guy. Beauty and brains, I'm your biggest fan!!!
                    Not married and no kids...but happily single- leaves me with more money to blow on toys like the LSE.

I had the advantage of being raised to know how to work on my own stuff so that shops didn't take advantage of me. That I was growing up in an era of decently sized V8's measured in cubic inches and that still required the ability to use a dwell tach in setting the points were a bonus

Northeast...bleah...that is too much like winter up there- I'll settle for my day of winter when the thermo gets under 50. And 107 in the summer isn't too bad if you get a little breeze to go with it (although ACL fest was still pretty nightmarish with all the dust on day 3)

Comment

i'm not sure what's available to tweak the 03 and up panthers.......the poly endlinks definitely dont apply lol.........i looked at a 05 towny today ath the meet, totaly different suspension setup.......rack and pinion was new for 03.............search teh web for what what the marauder guys are doing...........best bang for the buck would probably be better tires (sorry michelins suck lol) and some kyb or bilstien shocks...........much to learn about these weird new panthers in teh futum hehe
                      scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Working...
                      X