barge-body steering column replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

barge-body steering column replacement

The shop that has my '79 TC will be tackling this job, not me. I would just like to know what steps are involved.
    '79 Continental Town Car
    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
    '94 Crown Victoria

actually this job isnt that hard....basically...first,remove the clip holding the transmission selector shft from the column(this will be under the hood) then you need to remove the lower cover of the dashboard below the steering column,unplug any/all wiring from the column(this may involve doing so at different times during disassembly)...remove the mounting bolts/nuts at the dash behind the cover panel,next there will be a "collar" at the firewall,you will need to remove the small bolts there,then,go under the hood and disconnect the shaft(either at the box if bolted there,or at the rag joint depending on where your issue is,and REPLACE the rag joint,it should be relatively inexpensive)....there may be some slight differences in disassembly(ive never worked on a column in this series ford/lincoln,but untill you get to airbags,its pretty similar to what we have in a box panther)also,dont forget to CAREFULLY remove the shift indicator wireprior to letting the column drop!!!!!!

Comment

Pretty much the same in a 78 F150 as well. Its real simple to do.

Comment

Working...
      X