Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So how do you care for your woodgrain sides?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So how do you care for your woodgrain sides?

The previous owner of my '91 G M C P said I should use Mop N Glow. He left me with a big bottle in the tire well, and I have not used it yet in the couple of years I have owned it. I try to keep my car clean and parked in the shade and the faux wood still looks OK to me. So besides something like Armor-all have any of you tried the Mop N Glow thing, and were you happy with it?

Thank you.

NO to armorall. Horrible. Mop-n-glow I've heard before as working well.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Hi johnunit, Thanks for telling me not to go near Armorall, I will surely stay away from that stuff, especially near faux woodgrain. I will try the Mop N Glow.

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
        NO to armorall. Horrible. Mop-n-glow I've heard before as working well.
        This times about 10 million. Seriously. Fuck Armorall. I've made that mistake once and it has ruined more than one interior piece.
        Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
        New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

I should clarify that I don't have personal experience with armor-all and faux woodgrain, but it did a great job of completely ruining my vinyl top. And I've heard similar horror stories. Plus what he said^

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Now I am very curious. What does the Armorall do that makes it so bad? I would like to hear at least one of your horror stories concerning the use of Armorall. Thank you.

Comment

The silicone oil in it will actually suck out some of the oil content in the plastic, leaving it very dry and brittle over time. The dashboard of my Mark VII got regular Armor-All treatment by the previous owner. It was perfect when I got it, and within 3 months it started to develop little cracks. Withing 6 months it had large fissures.

I've heard bad things about Mop n Glo as well, particularly on vinyl tops. Apparently it runs and stains the paint. The guy that did the vinyl top on my car actually told me to use Pledge on it. He said it works as well as anything else as far as making it shine, and does not attack the material. I use the Aerospace 303 since it has some UV protection but I don't butter it up regularly. Maybe 2-3 times a year I'll treat it, but otherwise I simply keep it washed as best I can. I'd expect vinyl woodgrain to work about the same, keep it clean will be most of the battle.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Hi Magic Brain,
                Thank you for your input! I'm not sure what "Aerospace 303" is. Is it a furniture polish? I like your "Magic Brain" avatar. It is from Zenith record players I believe.

Comment

I believe it is primarily a uv protectant. I bought a bottle on Tooltopia.com and have started to use it on exteroir weater strip. It seems to hold up well but my experience is short term so far.

Jay
                  03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                  02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                  08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                  12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

AMAZON has it!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by sparkyusn View Post
                      Hi Magic Brain,
                      Thank you for your input! I'm not sure what "Aerospace 303" is. Is it a furniture polish? I like your "Magic Brain" avatar. It is from Zenith record players I believe.
                      This stuff:

Its a vinyl cleaner / protectant.

And actually the Magic Brain stuff is RCA from the 1930s. Oddly enough, I do not own a single RCA radio.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'll look in my shop tomorrow for y'all's vinyl tops. My grandfather had a lot of chemicals left over from his land yacht days. They're all too old to use. But a couple years ago I found out that most of them are no longer made, or the patent on the shelf name expired. I ordered a bottle of chrome polish new from the original chemical company on amazon, been swearing by it ever since.

And if you get worried about your wood sides just look at mine. Most of it isn't even wood anymore haha.
                        Dave- collector of the old, slow, and free
                        86 F250 SD. RC,LWB, 300/6, NP 435, 4.10lsd Sterling- 96k miles. Sanford & Son status
                        87 GMCP. Blue/blue cloth. Low option. Beat and bruised. Trans makes werewolf sounds.

Comment

This is all very interesting information to me. Thanks for all the input.

Comment

Working...
                          X