Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Found an '83 Lincoln Mark VI...... Should I buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found an '83 Lincoln Mark VI...... Should I buy?

Well I was looking into buying a '95 Town Car but now I found a 1983 Lincoln Mark VI. Signature series It has 87k miles on it. It is gray with red interior and a black top. Turbine wheels. It runs great and all of the power features work. Body is in very good condition. There is no rust except for bubbles on the bottom edge of the trunk lid and the back bumper has rust. Which is weird because the rest of the car is clean as a whistle. The doors and rockers are like new! interior is in good shape but it needs the headliner replaced and the glove box door warped. underneath is clean and was undercoated.

Overall the car is very clean. Flip up headlights still work. But windshield is cracked.
    So needs overall: windshield, headliner, rear bumper, new glove box door, and trunk lid repaint.
    He was asking $2000. But lowest he will go is $1500. I think this is fair. Offered $1200 but he was kind of insulted. His dad has owned the car since 91. What do you guys think. I love these early 80's marks. Pretty rare find up here. Basically it just needs TLC to me but you tell me.

No rust on an 83 is pretty hard to come by these days, I think $1500 is fair so it sounds like a deal to me!
    1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

Also on a side note the car has badges that say automatic fuel injection.... I didn't think that came around til 87..... And it had a digital dash. Are these rare options?

Comment

Many of the Mark VI had the digital dash, particularly the Signature Series trim level. Lincoln had Electronic Fuel Injection standard starting in 1980 on the 302 powered cars. 80-83 was the EEC3 system, which quite frankly is crackers. It works great when it works, but God help you if it dies in some bizzare way. the sensors are expensive, diagnostics via computer are basically non-existant, and not a whole bunch is known about it. You absolutely need to own the manuals for this because its a fair bet nobody will be able to help you. That is unfortunately about my limit of knowledge on the EEC3 CFI system, which is to say that I know I don't know nearly enough about it to fix one.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          Many of the Mark VI had the digital dash, particularly the Signature Series trim level. Lincoln had Electronic Fuel Injection standard starting in 1980 on the 302 powered cars. 80-83 was the EEC3 system, which quite frankly is crackers. It works great when it works, but God help you if it dies in some bizzare way. the sensors are expensive, diagnostics via computer are basically non-existant, and not a whole bunch is known about it. You absolutely need to own the manuals for this because its a fair bet nobody will be able to help you. That is unfortunately about my limit of knowledge on the EEC3 CFI system, which is to say that I know I don't know nearly enough about it to fix one.
          however,it wouldnt be hard to convert it to a carberator,so if the fuel injection goes wonky,just get a 2bbl carb(or a 4bbl intake and carb)and those worries are over.....

Comment

I have made car choices in the past made on my situation. Do you have a garage, tools, skills & sufficient money to maintain the vehicle? Do you drive a lot? The mark is more of a collector car by virtue of the vintage. The Lincoln is a really nice car which would be much easier to maintain and on average could easily make 300k miles with a RELATIVELY small investment.

It depends on what you want to do with the car and your resources.
            Also maybe none of that applies and you only want to run a car for a short while and then sell/dump/junk it. This is also a viable option.

Jay
            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

The Lincoln would be more of a collector car to me. Stored for the winter, etc. Def not a daily driver. Just something to restore and cruise in on nice days. I have always wanted a mark vi and finding one without breaking the bank up here is pretty rare. Just wanted some input from you guys, since most of you know these style cars in and out....

Comment

if you got a place to store it and you understand that the eec3 absolutely sucks, go for it
                i would not use one for a daily driver tho, drop a efi ho motor in there and convert it to sefi and your set powerwise.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

If you don't mind giving it some TLC, go for it. How many cars do you currently own?
                  '79 Continental Town Car
                  '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                  '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Why not for a collector car? Its purpose is to make you happy and occupy your time.
                    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Ok so now I have a dilemma. I also found a 1991 Cadillac Brougham d'Elegance for sale. It's triple white and completely rust free with 83k.... Mint. Asking $2900. A deal. I want both now but I'm thinking the caddy is the wayto go. Needs no work and I am a die hard Brougham fan. I already own a triple black 91 Brougham. Maybe in a 2 weeks when I have a little extra cash again I'll see if the Mark vi is still available.

Comment

The Caddy does seem like a deal. Last year for that style IIRC.
                        2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                        2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                        Past Panthers
                        1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                        if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Test drive each car if possible.
                          '79 Continental Town Car
                          '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                          '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

I bet that caddy will give you more troubles than the Lincoln, CFI and all!

I still want to do a CFI-3 to CFI-4 conversion...
                            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                            sigpic
                            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

While I really like both cars, considering the condition of each I'd get the caddy. That body style is one of my favorites, and if it's the 5.7 it's even better.
                              2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

Comment

Working...
                              X