ok, im hooked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok, im hooked

Hi,ok, I am hooked, that is on my first whale! I recently bought a very nice,clean 2000 GM, LS premium package, traction control,abs. Has 184k miles, 1 owner,never hit, all original paint,few scuffs on the bumper and its a CA. car. Light blue, dark slate blue int. single exhaust car. I replaced fuel pump,filter,plugs,flushed cooling system,replaced idler arm,pitman arm,upper ball joints,and the intake manifold,as it had a crack in the rear heater outlet.

I like the car,but,really always wanted a Marauder, an 04 in silver or red. I recently did some on line reading and found out about the LSE, made 2001-2003 and 2005 . I guess its like the crown vic sport, dual exhaust,buckets,console.

So, a few questions; whats the best year or, years to avoid ? I thought i wanted an 06-07 dual exhaust car, but, now, an 03 LSE looks good......any input? thanks,scarey

Aside from the intake manifold, there are very few issues to deal with. IMO, the '03-05 have the best looking front end
    '79 Continental Town Car
    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
    '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

there were noteworthy improvements in 03 and 05. No bad years really past 2001.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

What improvements were made in 05?
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Throttle by wire (TBW) and further improvements in the valvebody of the transmission to accomodate the TBW.
          I believe they changed the front clips in 05+.
          I've heard the 04 CVPI's were the best.
          I'd take anything 03+. I'd prefer 03 or 04 just because I'm not a big fan of TBW. But you will notice a huge improvement in handling with the rack and pinion and revised suspension.

-ryan s.
          08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
          03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
          97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
          94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
          73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
          12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
          Originally posted by pantera77
          Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Thanks Ryan
            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Good job on the 2000. 2001 may be the first year with Event Data Recorders: http://www.njlawman.com/news/event-data-recorder.htm

Apparently you may be able to unhook the 2001+ car's Black Box but you'll have to rewire the wipers. http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f1e0f5f

I guess in the 2005+ Crown Vics the PowertrainControlModule also stores a lot of data: http://www.cdr-system.com/resources/...te_101107.html
              Last edited by sxcpotatoes; 08-18-2012, 03:30 AM. Reason: added last two links to more fully flesh out post
              Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Could be good or bad and with the locking feature it most likely can not be erased on site.
                02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Thanks all, I thought I found an 04 Marauder, called, worked it all out,started the credit/papaerwork , then got a call, it was no longer for sale, the owner of the dealership is keeping it for his grandson's 16the birthday! Geezzzz! I am 47, i got a $200.00 1964 urnal green f100 short bed for my 16th! Yes,it was a 292 and 3 on the tree! (It got a 4V 71 cleavland/C-6 the next year)

Oh well, not in a hurry, the 2000 runs good, and good to know about TWB on the 05 up..... I think 03-04 got my brain wrappped on 2003, as it was the only year of LSE with the updated front end...or was it? seems the performance package was somewhat rare on the GM"s?

Comment

SOunds like you got a nice car, i ran my 01 merc up to 205k miles and it still ran good when I sold it. Plus driving it and not having to touch it other than oil changes saved me some money to buy my 03 CV.

The LSE's are very nice. Just be careful of an 03 because they did have issues with timing chain guides and rear axle bearings, but at this point most of the running and driving 03's have had these issues fixed. 03-04 are the most mod friendly. The Grand Marquis LSE is definitely alot more rare than the CV sport.
                    2003 Crown Vic - Stainless Works Longtubes + 2.5" exhaust, 19" C/S Wheels, 70MM TB
                    2004 Dodge Ram 2500, Yeah, It's got a Hemi
                    2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab

Comment

Working...
                    X