86' TV Cable Replacement Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

86' TV Cable Replacement Options

Me & a buddy were doing some work on my car and accidentally snapped one of the tabs off of the adjuster for the tv cable that locks it into the bracket.

Problem is it's the lift tab type with the ball & socket piece on the throttle body for an 86. I have no idea what i can replace it with and google hasn't been much help either.

I've taken a look around the wreckers in Mississauga but they don't have any cars like ours in their lots anymore.

Could i just replace it with one from a mustang or are the brackets different? What are my options?

I think you can, you'll just have to corral the extra foot or so of cable somehow. I'd stick around for confirmation though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
      I think you can, you'll just have to corral the extra foot or so of cable somehow. I'd stick around for confirmation though.
      I'll stick around. Do you think the lokar kit would work or is it only for carbed cars?

Comment

I think it will on the 86 only, but I've heard many bad stories about the Lokar cable slipping out of the stop and killing the trans.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Hmm well that's no good, any other options? Did any towncars come with the same cable I've got?

Comment

all 86 models used that type of cable. 86 Mustangs and Mark VII also have one with the same design, but its longer.

Try a dealer. If there are any left in stock, thats your best bet. If I couldn't get an OEM one, I'd change all of the stuff over to 87-91 stuff rather than use aftermarket bits. You would need the throttle body and the throttle cable bracket along with the cable itself. Not really all that big of a matter to swap it. Use the brass bushing though, the plastic one sucks.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
            X