2001 MGM CVPI speedo swap help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2001 MGM CVPI speedo swap help

Hello I bought a 2001 MGM GS last week. This is my first panther marquis since I also own a fox body marquis. Yesterday I went to the pull apart and found a cvpi 140mph speedo out of a 05 model. I installed it today and the temp and oil pressure doesn't work. The seat belt light won't go out and when I turn on the head lights my right turn signal indicator stays lit along with the high beam indicator. Also when I turn my high beams on the temp light comes on. Do the speedo cluster have to be yeaar specific to work correctly. They do have a 01 140mph speedo but I grabbed the 05 because it was closer to the actual miles on my mgm.

yes, they are typically year specific. The mileage can be adjusted... but that is a bit of a PITA. There is probably a way to re-pin the connectors to have them work right, but you would need the cluster wiring diagrams for both.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Ok. There is a matching year model cvpi cluster at the the pull a part that I will exchange. I was worried that rolling the miles back was illegal so I didn't grab the matching year. It had 145,xxx but my 01 mgm has 71,xxx. Had 68,xxx when I got it also would a wrong year cluster affect any other electrical probs. I started to grab a cvpi cluster out of a 97 model.

Comment

as far as I know... the CVPI cars use different pinouts for the clusters than the civilian cars. You will need to re-pin. Even if the connectors match up, the pinout may not be the same. Cut the wire harness off with the cluster when you get it to verify. The wire colors should be the same. Changing odometer readings is only illegal if you change it to a value lower than the mileage on the vehicle for purposes of deceiving a buyer. If you tell them the mileage is not correct because you swapped out the cluster, then there's no issue in most states. California tends to be uber annoying on most of these things so it's always a good idea to check with the local laws before doing something like that. If you change the mileage to match the cluster you're taking out, there is no issue.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The 1998-2002 is plug and play. P71 and Civy are identical pinouts. 2003-2005 is different than 98-02 and 2006+ is different from '03-'05.
          Last edited by Mercracer; 11-21-2012, 12:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer View Post
            The 1998-2002 is plug and play. P71 and Civy are identical pinouts. 2003-2005 is different than 98-02 and 2006+ is different from '03-'05.

This^.

You need one from a 98-02 for it to work. Switching to the CVPI speedo just for the mph? I liked the gray backing of my MGM speedo so much more.
            2003 Crown Vic - Stainless Works Longtubes + 2.5" exhaust, 19" C/S Wheels, 70MM TB
            2004 Dodge Ram 2500, Yeah, It's got a Hemi
            2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab

Comment

I can see swapping the older box speedos (85 max) for PIs, but the newer models go to 120 correct? I don't think many GMs flying around faster than that!
              2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
              2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
              Past Panthers
              1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
              if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

If you remove the face of the speedometer, you can pop the odometer right out, and then just pop it into your "new" cluster. It will only go in one way, so it will read correctly.
                -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
                1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
                1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
                1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

Originally posted by tjc78 View Post
                  I can see swapping the older box speedos (85 max) for PIs, but the newer models go to 120 correct? I don't think many GMs flying around faster than that!
                  Yeah, 120. Can't say ive ever had either of my cars over that to need a higher speedo, but to each his own.
                  2003 Crown Vic - Stainless Works Longtubes + 2.5" exhaust, 19" C/S Wheels, 70MM TB
                  2004 Dodge Ram 2500, Yeah, It's got a Hemi
                  2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab

Comment

Working...
                  X