The Panther formerly known as "Boulevard Cruiser"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Panther formerly known as "Boulevard Cruiser"

Which is what it was when I bought my 1989 Colony Park fourteen years ago. With 70,000 miles on the odometer it proceeded down the avenues with the dignity of a dowager empress and the maneuverability of a battleship in a fjord. It was pretty good going forward at moderate speeds at midday. At night, it’s weary yellow headlights couldn’t see so good and its tiny mirrors had to trust that whatever was behind its ass end wasn’t intending anything really gross.

It was dangerous in the rain, worse in the snow and when the brakes were hammered hard on dry pavement, they locked up and the car became a two ton sled. The engine knocked. If I used my notebook as a music player and forgot to unplug when I stopped for gas, the starter would draw the computer battery. On 100 degree days at 70 mph if I used the A/C it overheated . When the sun was rising or setting I couldn’t see through the pocked windshield but if I didn’t drive at night, at high speeds on beltways, in heavy rain or slush, at dawn or dusk and the alternator didn’t catch fire, it was exactly what I was looking for.

I compete in sheepdog trials, don’t have much money and this enormous (same size as a Ford F250, crewcab, standard bed) could haul 4 dogs in crates or six with one loose and got 18 miles per gallon and the passenger seat was comfortable enough to sleep in.

I wanted a “Shooting Brake”. Years ago, fancy Brits modified their Bentleys into a wagon to haul dogs and hunters and guns to their shooting stands., I didn’t have one of those. I had a Boulevard Cruiser”.

I paid $2500 for the Cruiser and wrecked it six months later. The car slid off our icey dirt road – just a fenderbender, I thought. Nope. Frame broke.

That was the first time it was TOTALED. I swapped my renta a car coverage for the title. The insurance company’s check was $2500. Fortunately. Ratchet, my shade tree mechanic wasn’t busy that winter so he jacked the car into cinderblocks, scooted the frame out and replaced it with a Lincoln hearse frame. He also sent the engine to a first rate engine rebuilder and found a 91 front clip in the junkyard.

It was rusting at the vinyl edges so next year I had the vinyl removed and the car painted. Real paint, no clearcoat.

Finding GMN was a huge relief. There were people who KNEW about these cars. In Skippyville, real mods became possible. Scott and Thaine were brilliant engineers and Scott’s prices were reasonable. (I once told Scott that if he’d fallen in love with Porches instead of big Fords, he’d be a rich man.)

So, when I could afford it between sheepdog trials, Scott, Thaine and later Ivan and John modified the car.

Deer Pusher, fogs, Helas, driving lights replacing cornering and backup lights, roller lifters, undershot pulley, three cell radiator, tranny and ps pump coolers, fusible links replaced with fusebox, electrics limiter, 4G alternator, ac condenser drain, police steering and suspension, aluminum drive shaft, 16” Cartier wheels, Avid performance tires, devinyled, degunked and rustproofed, tinted, big brake 4 wheel ABS, posi, auto dimming heated power mirrors, oil & temp gauges, back up sensor, Garmin GPS,., steering wheel ipad, driveway lights and doorlock remotes, contractor’s console w/ trash bin, tailgate window wiper.

I put 235,000 more miles on it. Florida, Maine, West Texas, Montana, New York City. I wrecked it in West Virginia, Florida and Virginia (twice in Virginia if you count running over that boulder). It’s come home on a wrecker four times and killed four deer. Me and the dogs were never hurt.

Today, thanks to the folks at Skippyville and you on GMN, its about as safe as a new Cadillac – less accident survivable but more avoidable, gets better mileage than the Caddy, hauls more and is – yep – more comfortable. The Caddy’s accelerates faster and is uglier.

Born as a 1989 Mercury Colony Park, a “Boulevard Cruiser”, it has grown up to a “Shooting Brake”. Sure, there are more mods to be made. No reason it can’t out-accelerate a damn Caddy. This year I figure me and the dogs will take it to Florida, Montana and Ontario. Next year, who knows?

It’ll see me out.

Donald McCaig

a well thought out description of an awesome vehicle......having personally seen this vehicle,i can say it is all that has been descibed,and more........ a wagon truly worthy of the title "shooting brake"!!!!!

Comment

In keeping with the upcoming elections, make 'Shooter' the Panther of the Month!
      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Thank you for letting us work on your wagon donald! it is an honor! and keeps food on my table.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

It's a testament to what these vehicles are:
          Absurdly tough
          infinitely modifiable and rebuildable
          really nice to drive on an interstate
          A bear everywhere else, but in an endearing sort of way

The ABS swap still blows my mind. Really cool.

Now if it DID end up out-accelerating a modern caddy, push bar at all, it'd be about the most inexplicably interesting and cool car out there.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

This is a great car, with a dedicated owner. There isn't anything (except for monster SUVs) built today that can haul people, things and Dogs better than a Panther wagon.

Is there an HO/Explorer swap in the future?
            2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
            2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
            Past Panthers
            1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
            if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

to out race those new caddies... a well tuned supercharged coyote... or if you prefer pushrods... a well tuned 427w

though, trans and rear axle would need some serious work as well... but it would definitely move.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yeah, the CTS 3.6 DI is good for what 6 seconds to 60? Need 400HP+ in a wagon to get close to that.

I know my porker LaCrosse with the same engine is high 6s, as would be the new Caddy XTS.
                2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                Past Panthers
                1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

i got a 1970 four barrel cleveland with small chamber heads in the corner, bet that would be badass rebuilt with a sefi conversion lol

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Very nice write-up and awesome car. As far as chasing down caddys, I am on that mission too. I have been trying to outrun them on the street and strip, but have failed to do so. But, this weekend is a huge swap meet and I have a guy coming up to bring me a cleveland too. I am going to give them a try and see what happens, unfortunately I just purchased alumi heads for the windsor, so that will be saved for another project. With enough gear, the new Ctv's will not be a problem in the short run. However I can't say I have near the luxury that you do anymore, and I surely wish I did.
                    85' Crown Vic 2dr. Small tire stock block grudge car.
                    09’ CTS-V family car making over 700whp with ease.
                    79’ f350 427 ls7 swapped with th400. Prerunner setup
                    64’ c30 dually. Slammed and turbo 5.3 with 4l80e

Comment

You certainly do have a way with words Donald.

I look forward to seeing how the Shooting Brake evolves over the next 100k miles!

sigpic
                      - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

Well, its been anything but routine with that car, I'll give it that. Its somewhat more interesting to work on something outside the tried and true realm once in a while.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well this is a complete 180 with what I thought you were gonna go with the car. But hey, a fast wagon sounds like fun. The Shooting Brake... a very interesting name for a very interesting panther. Let's get that cleveland in there along with a bunch of other mods. We'll get that thing going faster than any cadillac...

Comment

John wrote "]Well this is a complete 180 with what I thought you were gonna go with the car"

Just thinking. First:that damned tailgate, Finish the quarter panel. Then, I'm thinking a new instrument panel.

But, that motor has 200k since the rebuild. I worked in Detroit when the Chysler engineers were putting a 426hemi into a Barracuda. Suicide machine. But now the Shooting Brake can handle more power...

Donald

Comment

Originally posted by dmccaig View Post
                              John wrote "]Well this is a complete 180 with what I thought you were gonna go with the car"

Just thinking. First:that damned tailgate, Finish the quarter panel. Then, I'm thinking a new instrument panel.

But, that motor has 200k since the rebuild. I worked in Detroit when the Chysler engineers were putting a 426hemi into a Barracuda. Suicide machine. But now the Shooting Brake can handle more power...

Donald
                              The wagon tailgate makes me cringe. I've never worked on one, but I hear they're a pain in the ass.

Comment

Working...
                              X