Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

broken ignition key cylinder (97 Grand Marq)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

broken ignition key cylinder (97 Grand Marq)

My friend lost his key and foolishly punched out his ignition lock/key cylinder so he could use his car.....he picked up the correct ignition lock/key cylinder with keys this morning.....normally the replacement procedure is to put the key in the run position and depress the retainer to remove the lock cylinder then insert the new lock cylinder with key in the run position etc etc assuring everything is lined up internally.... The problem I am having is getting the ignition switch gear in the lock cylinder housing in the run position (remember the ignition was turned of using a screw driver to move the actual gears in the ignition system) so when I set the new lock cyclinder in the run position and insert it into its housing it is "timed" correctly with car itself being in the run position because all the lights that normally come on do so....each time the lock cylinder fully seats and I can turn the the key through its ranges but when I try and start the car nothing happens.....I can start it with the screw driver though.....the gears inside the housing look oK I just think it is out of sync.....Please help!!!

Thanks

Josh

the slot that the screwdriver is turning may be damaged so that the new lock cylinder won't fit right. It sounds like the slot is sort of bent out of shape if the new lock will turn stuff on but won't engage far enough to start.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I think I may have found the problem,hopefully(as stated above)....the gears on the sliding mechanism that actually is involved in the electrical switching are screwed up....I have been attempting to insert the new lock cycl with its gear in place so that may be screwing me up...I will try to insert that in first, seat it, and then insert the new lock cylinder....wish me luck....BTW his GF had the keys the whole time...nothing like miscommunication..

Comment

and all this mess could have been avoided... ouch.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

does anyone know if the plastic slider piece that has the metal gears can be ordered/replaced separately from the ignition switch itself....the part that slides forwards and backwards

Comment

actually... yes. (items 17 and 18 in the diagram)
            http://www.trademotion.com/parts/199...gramCallOut=23

I don't see any part numbers, but if you take that page info to a Ford dealer near you, you might be able to get them to get it.

Replacing those actuators is a real PITA though and very labor intensive. It also involves properly disabling the Air Bag system (disconnect battery completely - positive cable must be removed) and then wait at least 30 minutes before messing with the air bag connections. The capacitors in the air bag diagnostic module must be given time to discharge.

After that... it's all about taking stuff apart. The proper clock spring tool will be a god-send as well when pulling the steering wheel to get at the actuator rods. You will have to disassemble the tilt hinge as well and that can be a real bugger because of that uber strong spring.

I just needed to link mine back together so I didn't need to take it all the way apart (steering wheel left on), but it was still a lot of work.

Click the links in the quote for more on procedure and pics.

Originally posted by slymer
            with the help of the pics here and the thread over on CVN here, my 93 vic now starts with the key AND turns off with the key. The little aluminum rod that links the ignition actuator rods had fallen out. I managed to put it back without removing the steering wheel. I took the T30 bolts out of the tilt hinge to give me some room and used a flat head screwdriver to fish the pin out of the rod channel. I aligned the rods and carefully placed the pin near where it needed to be with some duck bill needle nose pliers. I then used the same flat head screwdriver to massage the pin into position and very carefully levered the screwdriver against the steering shaft to push the pin into place. Took me about 3 hours to figure out all the angles and replace the ignition switch, including a run to Autozone (damn brittle old plastic... tightened down the screw in the wire harness and the nut broke off the switch). Now my wife can use the key in her DD to actually start and stop it now instead of thumbing the ignition switch that was hanging down from the dash.

Comment

Working...
            X