'01 TC Rear End

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'01 TC Rear End

tryin to figure out what spline rear end i got in my signature series so i know what to order when i order my trac-lok
    2010 Toyota Camry "Traveller II "
    54,xxx miles. New daily driver
    2001 Lincoln Town Car Signature "Leroy"
    rear cats deleted, 2" h pipe, dual 8" cherry bomb glasspacks
    114k miles. Sold to my coworker.
    1998 Toyota Camry "Traveller"
    Dead and sold.

I've got it listed as 28 spline.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

thanks! would this change if i changed to a 3.73 or 4.10 ratio?
      2010 Toyota Camry "Traveller II "
      54,xxx miles. New daily driver
      2001 Lincoln Town Car Signature "Leroy"
      rear cats deleted, 2" h pipe, dual 8" cherry bomb glasspacks
      114k miles. Sold to my coworker.
      1998 Toyota Camry "Traveller"
      Dead and sold.

Comment

you would have to change the axle shafts and pinion flange to change that.

So you'll also want the 28 spline setup for the gears (they make them all the way up to 4.56 I think).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

The 8.8" pinion and ring gears are all the same regardless of the drive ratio you choose and work with any axle.

I believe the spyder gears and the carrier are different for different axle spline counts, though I am not 100% sure about that part. It may be just one component.

Sly, you say you need a different pinion flange if you want to change the axle spline count?
          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

the pinion gear has a spine on it... so you have to match that up with the pinion flange (drive shaft setup) as well.
            the spider gears have the splines... the carrier is actually universal.

Comment

Interesting. What types of vehicles have a different, (not 30) pinion flange count? Trucks, PI?

I did scan summit's listing and found a yukon set with a 28 spline count but can not tell what it fits.
              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

actually I can't find a definitive answer. It seems 28 or 30 for ALL Ford 8.8 rear differentials. It may have something to do with tow options. Maybe the tow and HPP packages got the 30 spline.

This one will have to be deferred to a higher authority on the subject.

Comment

Oddly it seems that the 30 spline pinions are the common ones and 28 the uncommon. For instance it appears that all Ford racing pinions are 30 count. Almost all offerings at sumitt are 30.
                  02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

this is true... and I know for a fact that the axle splines are 28 and yet only ADTR has the FRPP 28 spline traklok carrier (that I've found recently). So I dunno.

Comment

Did town cars come with aluminum driveshafts? If not he's going to want to fix that if he goes to 4.10s and ever goes over 80mph or so.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                        this is true... and I know for a fact that the axle splines are 28 and yet only ADTR has the FRPP 28 spline traklok carrier (that I've found recently). So I dunno.
                        I will try ford racing tech support tomorrw and see what info they can offer.
                        02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

I talked to ford racing support. They tell me that all 8.8 ford rears are 30 spline from the factory no matter what vehicle the rear is in and have been since 1984. I also talked to summit and they gave me the same information. This means any 8.8 ring and pinion will interchange in any 8.8 rear.

I do see some 28 spline pinions available for sale but perhaps they are all custom aftermarket setups. I am glad this was brought up as I think I am a bit more clear on this now.
                          02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

That's good info. So it's just the axle splines to deal with.

Comment

Yes axle splines and the related spyders.
                              02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Working...
                              X