1993 MGM changed out headlight switch and receptacle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1993 MGM changed out headlight switch and receptacle

Changed out headlight switch and receptacle on my 1993 MGM. Turned out I had two of the wires switched.So I put the wires as they should be, initially using jumper wires to connect them, and everything worked as it should. I should mention that the exposed wires did move around a bit, contacting each other, etc. and sometimes throwing a spark.This morning , I removed the jumpers and spliced the wires together, and now I have no running lights, and maybe no dash lights(it's kinda hard to tell in daylight). So now I'm sorta trying to puzzle it out. Any ideas? Did maybe I short something out?
    1993 Mercury Grand Marquis 4.6L AODE[SIGPIC]sigpic

ya might have blowed something up. The circuit breaker for the headlights sits on that switch IIRC and you have to change the switch to change that damn thing unless the replacement switches have it slotted into a fuse holder type thing. you might also check that the connectors stayed in place when you shoved it back together. Loose connectors cause all manner of ghosty issues.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Well, exchanged the headlight switch and still no park or tail lights, so the headlight switch apparently was not the problem. I switched the two wires, that had been backwards, and had park and tail lights- when I had my car door open. That was how it was before. Couldn't tell about the dash lights. So I put them back the way I had them. Near as I can tell, using the old connector as a guide, that's how they are supposed to be. But now I have no park or tail lights. I did get my ohm meter out and checked all the wires. One of the two questionable wires , I got no reaction from. It is the tan wire with the white line. I'm getting a headache from this stuff. Think I'll try to find my magic wand.

Don.

Comment

Wiring diagram would help....

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

I agree. Know where I can find one?

Don.

Comment

EBAY and other places have Electrical and Vacuum Books. Get the OEM ones as they are the most detailed. Chilton, etc would be useless. Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

Uh, problem solved. Blown fuse.

Don.

Comment

doh!

though... like the silly cheap fixes.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Assuming a short is not causing the fuse to go....guess we'll hear about it if that is so. Hope not, though!

Comment

the "sparks" he talked about earlier probably caused the fuse to pop. If that's sorted... then there's no issue.

Comment

Working...
                    X