200A Alternator retrofit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

200A Alternator retrofit

I am swapping in a 200A alternator to my 2002. I am investigating the use of a 2004 PCM just to control the alternator. Anyone know if a PCM can be used for controls without being wired to a running engine? I would mount it out of the way and only run absolutely necessary wires to the pigtail. The only write-up I have seen is this one linked below which uses an aftermarket controller which does not change with vehicle system load.
    http://www.cvpi.org/archives/p71inte.../wsdindex.html

I doubt it since the PCM would need to know load values I would think. But it should be easy enough to plug in a 2004 PCM and load it with the 2002's tune at a tuner shop.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
      I doubt it since the PCM would need to know load values I would think. But it should be easy enough to plug in a 2004 PCM and load it with the 2002's tune at a tuner shop.
      I already have an E-mail in to see if BOC can flash the '04 PCM to work in my '02. The other advantage to the '04 PCM is a tach signal. I am picking up a '04 P71 Air box, Zip tube and MAF today, so I was intending on a tune at some point anyway, but I am still going to try the '04 without a flash running just the alternator first.

Comment

Working...
      X