Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barf: my AOD rebuild that runs perfectly except delay in reverse WTF??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barf: my AOD rebuild that runs perfectly except delay in reverse WTF??

Uhh, I know the Ford AOD is like a shit ton of weak sauce, but I had it rebuilt in my '83 as the forward clutches were shot and I was tired of that nonsense everytime I took a sharp right turn. ANYWAYZ....

Now it shifts like hot Velveeta and all slippage is gone, but now there is this new, delightful delay engaging reverse, about 2-5 seconds, and when it really warms up, requires a bitch kick on the gas pedal to "move the fluid" (I dunno, it's all just a slush box to me). I am literally going outside to check the fluid level after driving around this evening, so this whole post could be for not, but nothing I read on the Interwebz said fluid level would cause this.

Any advise?? I'll just take it back to the shop, but they are straight up guys that have done other transzes for me with no issues.

The tired, leaky AOD in my buddy's old '89 was like that when it would leak the fluid low enough. Hopefully thats all it is in your case. That car has nearly 200k on what appears to be the original lopo and AOD, so.. I guess that doesn't mean the AOD hasn't been rebuilt tho, but with as much as it leaks out of the pan, the rear seal, and the front pump seal, I'd hope the rebuild was a long time ago, lol.
    -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
    1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
    1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
    1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

Well, it didn't *appear* low on the dipstick, but they are such a PITA to read. It's on the low-er side, that is for sure. The shop may not have gotten the level correct . . . will try a tad more fluid and "see what happens". . . .

Comment

Yeah low fluid can cause retarded delay on reverse. Also low tv pressure can do that...

Comment

valvebody issues or pump
          89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

the AOD only sucks when people that don't know how to rebuild it fuck it up.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              the AOD only sucks when people that don't know how to rebuild it fuck it up.
              I am coming to that conclusion. They have been great on some other ancient transmissions for me, but so far this AOD is not up their alley, I guess.

To Zoomie's point, I feel like it's valve body or pump related, too. Bringing it back a second time . . . will post the results.

Comment

M'kay, 'twas the valve body. Excessively worn clearances in the original core.

Comment

do you know how many miles were on that core?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

130k miles on the original core.

Comment

odd. Unless the core was on a truck or car used for towing/hauling lots of crap all the time, that seems strange. 139K on mine with a shift kit as of 110k and the original valve body. still kicking ass.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

If it's any consolation I used to own a 69 Skylark that according to the previous owners (who gave it to me, to get it out of their field) it had been doing it since 1979 when their dad had it rebuilt. I would take yours back though.
                        Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
                        AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
                        Open/Lock/Ratio #
                        -----------------------
                        G / H / 2.26
                        B / C / 2.47
                        8 / M / 2.73
                        7 / - / 3.07
                        Y / Z / 3.08
                        4 / D / 3.42
                        F / R / 3.45
                        5 / E / 3.27
                        6 / W / 3.73
                        2 / K / 3.55
                        A / - / 3.63
                        J / - / 3.85

Comment

Originally posted by GoodSamaritan View Post
                          If it's any consolation I used to own a 69 Skylark that according to the previous owners (who gave it to me, to get it out of their field) it had been doing it since 1979 when their dad had it rebuilt. I would take yours back though.
                          Yeah, that was my previous post--that I had taken it back and they confirmed the valve body was shot and replace it. So, after getting it back, it runs fantastic and no more delay in reverse. It actually go so bad on the last few miles before I could get it back to them that D was even trying not to engage, and after warm up there was severe shudder with forward acceleration from a stop.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                            odd. Unless the core was on a truck or car used for towing/hauling lots of crap all the time, that seems strange. 139K on mine with a shift kit as of 110k and the original valve body. still kicking ass.
                            Well, AFAIK, the valve body was original to my AOD and they just checked it with a scope and stuck it back on (may have replaced check ball[s] and spring[s] n thangs, not sure). They were more than aware of the torquing pattern and how fussy the valve body/AOD relationship is.

I think maybe mine was made on a Friday or something. Or possibly 10k miles on slipping forward clutches contributed to burning out the passages in the valve body. Who knows.

Comment

Working...
                            X