good transmission brand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good transmission brand

I'm deciding if I should have my AOD rebuilt or sell the shop my core and get a discount on a new/rebuilt transmission. What's a decent brand? I found a shop that swears by Jasper rebuilt transmissions, anybody have experience with them? I could also go with an aftermarket brand like TCI if that'd be better.
    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Lentech is a name I see thrown around a lot. No personal experience but they sure are popular.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Jasper is popular around these parts as well. One came in my Lincoln and it seems fine and dandy I wouldn't go the TCI route unless you plan on building power to put to it or the coin to buy it and If I was going that route I'd go for a C4 with reverse manual valvebody but I don't know man just do your research

Comment

there is a few people that i would take my trans to, including myself, but im not doing anyones trans until i build mine first, need to know i remeber what i leanred from alan.
        89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

many folks here swear by silverfox.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
            many folks here swear by silverfox.
            one of the reason not to get a silverfox valvebody and dirtydog converter loss of traction.........lols

Comment

bah... ad trak-lok and wide tires... fixed.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

bah... ad trak-lok and wide tires... fixed.
                that dont always work.........

Comment

then you've got too much power and need to learn to meter the right foot quotient.

Comment

If they're still available, get a Brian rebuild; talk to Scottmang. Morandon converters to finish it off. If they're not on ebay anymore, The shop is in Spring Hill, FL. I can dig out the # if interested.

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                    '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                    '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Morandon Service Inc
                      14728 Little Lake Rd
                      Spring Hill, FL 34610
                      Phone: (727) 944-3904

Haven't checked to see if they are still in business. Now a days, one never knows, does one?

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

a new TCI aod trans is 1,754.00+tax from summit racing......

Comment

My trans was $800 + my cost for the FRPP wide-ratio kit way back when Summit was selling it. Morandon's 2400 stall converter was 150 with the core i brought him, picked it up in person w/ Scott. Cool guy. He should still be in business. Had a nice shop full of converter shells on the same property as his house.

The trans was built great. The 1-2 would spin my 275/40s for a good few seconds @ full throttle

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                          '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                          '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

then you've got too much power and need to learn to meter the right foot quotient.
                            No such thing as too much power muwahahahah

Comment

lack of traction makes up for not building the rest of your driveline properly. You won't blow up the rear if it won't hook up.

besides, how fast do you need to go? The speed limits in most states are not over 80, and floorboarding it from stops wastes fuel. Its over $3.60 a gallon here. Tires are also expensive. Not sure what y'all do for employment but I don't make enough to bake tires off of my vehicles. The last set I put on the Towncar was $450 and they have not gotten cheaper since then.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X