Side Pipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Side Pipes

anyone know if its legal to run side pipes in virginia? i cut the muffler off my Townie last weekend and wanna run duals, but dont know if i can afford to pay the exhaust shop to have em run out the back, and i can do the side pipes myself with a buddy of mine, just need to know if theyre legal or not
    2010 Toyota Camry "Traveller II "
    54,xxx miles. New daily driver
    2001 Lincoln Town Car Signature "Leroy"
    rear cats deleted, 2" h pipe, dual 8" cherry bomb glasspacks
    114k miles. Sold to my coworker.
    1998 Toyota Camry "Traveller"
    Dead and sold.

A quick Google search says no.
    Second or third post.
    http://ls1tech.com/forums/generation...ust-legal.html

Here is the law:
    http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...+cod+46.2-1049

No person shall drive and no owner of a vehicle shall permit or allow the operation of any such vehicle on a highway unless it is equipped with an exhaust system in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual levels of noise; provided however, that for motor vehicles, such exhaust system shall be of a type installed as standard factory equipment, or comparable to that designed for use on the particular vehicle as standard factory equipment. An exhaust system shall not be deemed to prevent excessive or unusual noise if it permits the escape of noise in excess of that permitted by the standard factory equipment exhaust system of private passenger motor vehicles or trucks of standard make.

Sorry mang.

-ryan s.
    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
    Originally posted by pantera77
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Most states and provinces have rules about the exhaust ending past the rear doors. However, enforcement varies. I'd consider risking it considering how vague the above is (sounds like a law that might not be enforced often) IF you're running something quiet for mufflers. With glasspacks or flowmaster 40s you're probably going to get pulled over. often.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Glasspacks are also illegal.

-ryan s.
        08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
        03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
        97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
        94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
        73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
        12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
        Originally posted by pantera77
        Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

pete has va inspection lic, i'm sure he will chime in when he gets a chance to check the forum

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

glasspacks are illegal? thats interesting, considering just about every muffler shop in town sells em. thats exactly what im puttin on...been ridin around for a week with no muffler on it at all and aint been stopped yet. (my town is crawlin with cops)
            Dead and sold.

Comment

im goin with the glasspacks, so i guess ill have to get em run out the back
              Dead and sold.

Comment

Your muffler needs to have baffles around here. If you can stick a broom handle through the muffler, it will fail....those are the "rules" but I've never heard of anyone with glasspacks failing inspection and I've installed a number of them
                sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

it's gonna hang low with side exits mang

get a drivers side tail, and a pr of ofset ofset 2" mufflers and a h pipe.........the h pipe you may be able to find a decent one at the yard, iirc the later exhausts are stainless steel.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

You can run open headers here and won't get bothered, I've had cops tell me they've got more important things to do than pull over loud cars. Funny thing is I've got a buddy with a 78 skylark with a built 350 in it he's been running open headers with homemade sidepipes on it for 10 years and never been stopped.
                    2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

Comment

In Michigan, at least, since there are no inspections of any kind (you don't even need to prove the car you're registering actually exists) you can do pretty much what you want as long as you are not bothering anyone.

That being said, I ran my wagon with no exhaust behind the cats (previous owner did a pretty "special" hack job on it) for about 5 months, and never had anyone say a word. Granted, having heard both, the 302 is much more mellow without exhaust than the 4.6 is, but side-piping should eliminate a lot of the nuisance. Only time I hear of issues is when state inspection come up or if a neighbor gets upset about your 4am donuts on his lawn.
                      "Now it's over; I'm dead, and I haven't done anything that I want, or I'm still alive and there's nothing I want to do." -TMBG

1991 Grand Marquis GS Colony Park Towing -Dead-Stock & Tired LoPo 5.0

1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera International -I'm kind of sorry to admit it's still mine. In temporary custody of a friend who was desperate for a car.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjoern0115 View Post
                        In Michigan, at least, since there are no inspections of any kind (you don't even need to prove the car you're registering actually exists) you can do pretty much what you want as long as you are not bothering anyone.

That being said, I ran my wagon with no exhaust behind the cats (previous owner did a pretty "special" hack job on it) for about 5 months, and never had anyone say a word. Granted, having heard both, the 302 is much more mellow without exhaust than the 4.6 is, but side-piping should eliminate a lot of the nuisance. Only time I hear of issues is when state inspection come up or if a neighbor gets upset about your 4am donuts on his lawn.
                        No inspections or e check where im at either, I know certain places in ohio e check but I don't know if they do annual inspections like some states.
                        2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

Comment

i just ordered teh H pipe and the cherry bombs, went to a few local exhaust shops, everyone wanted to charge me $250 for just tailpipes! found one that will do it for $150, so not too bad considering the other people's prices
                          Dead and sold.

Comment

$250 for just tail pipes is pretty high, I upgraded to dual exhaust last september I went to 2.5" duals from the cats back with glasspacks and no hpipe total cost was $350 and that was with aluminized pipe. If I'd have gone stainless the price was $700.

Comment

i know, the places around here are nuts. im doin the stock 2" h pipe to 12" glasspacks, then 2.5" from the glasspacks back
                              Dead and sold.

Comment

Working...
                              X