Stereo troublshooting.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stereo troublshooting.....

OK,, here is the problem I'm having with my Baby LTD... I have been trying to get the AM/FM cassette radio to work.. Here is the deal...
    I am restoring the car back to original... So i have the original radio for the car... but I can't get the thing to work...

When the last owner had the car, he pulled the radio out and tried to install an aftermarket radio and a trunk CD changer... he WAS NOT a stereo installer!!! Anyway... he cut all the wires to the speaker and power plugs under the dash...

1. I went to the junkyard, got the plugs and re-installed them on the wiring harness.

2. Installed new stock style speakers in the dash, and the rear package shelf, and took out the jury rigged speakers he had in the car.

3. Put new plugs on the end of the stock speaker harness at the end of the wires, where they plug into the speakers... and plugged them back in to the stock harness.

4. Got a new AM/FM radio, (Actually two, got them for a good price) And plugged them in to the harness, plugged in the NEW antenna.. and... NOTHING....

5. I used my volt meter, I have power to the radio, and power to the dial light for inside the radio, when you turn on the headlights.

6. I used the ohm meter to read across the speaker wires, to see if I had continuety from one side of the plug, thru the speakers, to the other side of the plug... NOTHING....

So.... Maybe the car has the amplifier?? and maybe
    A. It blew a fuse...
    B. He took the amplifer out...
    c. He cut ANOTHER area of the harness somewhere??? ARRRGGHHH!!!!

Does anyone know if this car has the amplifier... And maybe WHERE the heck it is??? I have a friend that used to install sound systems that thought it was mounted in the middle of the package shelf, underneath.. but it is not there, or any wires... so that is out... maybe under the dash???

So... final question... since I can't find one locally or online... does anyone have a scan of the shematic for the 1984 LTD (the baby LTD)????? I had one of it that someone sent me, but someone at work erased it from my folder....

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
    Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Not familier with the LTDs, but most cars that have the amp have it located in the trunk. There are 4 channel amps and 2 channel amps too. The two channel amps are just on the front speakers. Probably you'd need an EVTM or the factory service manual to get the wiring diagram and start checking continuity from the plug to the speaker connections.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I don't belive they came with factory amps.. but it may be a common ground system.. how many wires do you have on each harness? did the harness you installed come out of the same year LTD or was it a few years newer? and did it have the same # of wires in it ... does the sterio turn on and apear to be working?

Comment

radio....

The plugs were out of the same year car, so they matched perfectly. (Same color wires, number of wires, etc) Each speaker has two wires at the both end of the plugs. Another words, it has eight speaker wires all together, from the radio to the speakers. As far as I can tell, the radio is working... I'm going to use some test cables tommorow and hook up the radio to a speaker I have that I know works, and see what happens... I was going to try to get under the dash today and try to figure out whats up with it.. but of course, it friggen rained ALL day!

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…

Comment

OK, sounds like you are on the right track...

Comment

Not sure if this is helpful, but this is the wiring for a non-amplified stereo in an 86 Vic.
            This is the convential analog-style tuner:

This is the electronic tuner:
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

if you can't get it to work do what i did with my 86 that had a factory amp. i got a cd player and wired it myself, all the speaker wires and such, it'll sound better might not get insanely loud cuz the stock speakers were meant to be driven by an amp but it'll suffice till you get aftermarket speakers

Nick

Comment

I have been trying to get the AM/FM cassette radio to work.. Here is the deal...
                I am restoring the car back to original... So i have the original radio for the car... but I can't get the thing to work...

When the last owner had the car, he pulled the radio out and tried to install an aftermarket radio and a trunk CD changer... he WAS NOT a stereo installer!!! Anyway... he cut all the wires to the speaker and power plugs under the dash...

1. I went to the junkyard, got the plugs and re-installed them on the wiring harness
                Nick, That is why I'm trying to get the STOCK stereo to work...

Anyway.. I checked the radios I got today with some speakers i KNOW are good... nothing... so I guess both of these radios are junk... So... I am gong with a radio delete plate, and an antenna delete plate on the fender.. since alot of these didn't come with stereos anyway....

(We used to make a flat wooden box, mount an AM/FM radio in the front, put two of the flat 5 inch speakers on top, along with a rubber ducky AM/FM antenna on top, and plug it into the cigarette lighter plug, and set it on the front passenger seat.. with the radio facing you... it was the only way we could think of to have tunes... boomboxes weren't invented yet... ) Only problem was you had to make SURE you turned it down before you talked on the redio.. or you would get written up... Also if you had to meet the SGT. or someone above the rank of SGT. somewhere.. you had to throw a towel or jacket over it so he wouldn't see it... or take it out and put it in the trunk before you went to meet him! And if they DID buy a car with a radio.. they unhooked it!

So anyone have a radio delete plate for this car????
                or maybe an antenna delete plate for the fender??? :banana:

Comment

my bad. i might have a factory stereo laying around from the 86, it requires a factory amp tho, i'd have to see if i have that in a box somewhere to if your interested

edit: oops its for a different car, wow i didn't pay attention did i?? lol

Nick

Comment

antenna plate....

Found the antenna delete plate on a Mustang supply website...

So now all I need is the radio delete plate... I'll probably make one, then paint it with the duplicolor bed liner stuff, to give it a little pebble grain texture... so it will look like plastic, instead of sheet metal! This will do until i can find one... Tom

Comment

it would drive me batshit having to ride with no tunes.

Comment

Sucks the tapedeck didn't work, I really don't listen to music in my car, don't know why lol
                        Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                        Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X