98 Camry (the beater)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

98 Camry (the beater)

my 83 year old gramma moved in with us almost a year ago. she has alzheimers and also is now unable to drive (though she insists that she can). about 6 months after she moved in, we brought her 98 toyota camry to our house and pretty much parked it out front. so since she cant drive, the family (mostly me) use her car as the "family beater". its got around 110k miles on it, bad rear suspension, a nearly detonated trans, and a motor with about 12 horses left in it (all of which is due to sitting in her garage for 6 months untouched). so i pretty much use it to tool around in when i dont feel like using my own gas. it blows greyish white smoke whenever the rpms get past 2k and the cat is rotted out so it sounds like a weedwacker when your driving down the road. 0-60 time? 22 seconds. the surprising thing is that everything works on it. ill post some pics of it when i get the chance.
    2010 Toyota Camry "Traveller II "
    54,xxx miles. New daily driver
    2001 Lincoln Town Car Signature "Leroy"
    rear cats deleted, 2" h pipe, dual 8" cherry bomb glasspacks
    114k miles. Sold to my coworker.
    1998 Toyota Camry "Traveller"
    Dead and sold.

Oil burner???

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

sort of, not to the point of having to add more in, but i think one (or more) of the piston rings is leakin a little
      Dead and sold.

Comment

Maybe a slightly thicker oil might work?

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

98! that's like brandy new to me hehe
          with a little work it can be made like new mang......probably needs valve seals.......i'm sold on toyotas after how good my little truck is (my first toyota and i have been driving over 25 yrs) i want a fixer upper second generation four runner, something with little to no rust and a bad motor (302 swap anyone?)
          my beaters are the 86 toyota pickup and the 5.0 HO converted 92 grand marquis lol

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Got a 97 corolla with 280k miles on it that still runs like a champ. It needs valves deals too though. Oil gets down into the spark plug wells. Still gets about 30 mpg though. It's got a 1.8L in it. Most camrys till the 2003 body style have a 3.0L v6 though I'm pretty sure
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

Originally posted by fmansfield444 View Post
              Most camrys till the 2003 body style have a 3.0L v6 though I'm pretty sure
              its got the 2.2L L4
              Dead and sold.

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                98! that's like brandy new to me hehe
                with a little work it can be made like new mang......probably needs valve seals.......i'm sold on toyotas after how good my little truck is (my first toyota and i have been driving over 25 yrs) i want a fixer upper second generation four runner, something with little to no rust and a bad motor (302 swap anyone?)
                my beaters are the 86 toyota pickup and the 5.0 HO converted 92 grand marquis lol
                eh, im not gonna put any work into it. if my gramma wants work done to it, thats up to her. toyotas are good vehicles, i love the 70s and 80s pickups, them things are fun. my buddy has one, the white one on my youtube channel, that we use to just beat around in. id rather have one of those than the camry, probably gonna look for one next year once i get workin at the ford dealership
                Dead and sold.

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
                  Maybe a slightly thicker oil might work?
                  probably, but the oil filter expanded (my gramma had the old one replaced with a FRAM...yech) so my dad is gonna take it into the toyota dealership to have it done.
                  Dead and sold.

Comment

the abuse is finally starting to catch up with it! trans shifts so hard it feels like its gonna drop at any second, the exhaust is falling apart and im pretty sure it doesnt even run out the back anymore, seeing how loud it is now and how it smokes from underneath on a cold day, brakes are shot, steering is shot, and suspension is even worse. im pretty sure itll give up the ghost by summer...hopefully. im sure i can get $200 at the scrap yard for it, plus whatever i can get for the cats, rad, and heater core
                    Dead and sold.

Comment

just realized something...this car will come in handy when i do the 5speed swap on Leroy...not gonna kill it yet.
                      Dead and sold.

Comment

Working...
                      X