Thinking about getting a TC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking about getting a TC

Well guys I am thinking about getting a Town Car. I have a 91 Grand Marquis now, I just feel its time for an upgrade. And why not another panther? lol

Anyway, i've always sort of steered away from the 92+ panthers because of only one reason. The 4.6 .

I know some of your are probably :O I've just heard alot about them having cooling/intake problems. And it seems like every time I'm driving near one I see them smoke when they take off from a stop. Maybe i'm just mis-informed, if I am please let me know. Are they good motors? Are there other common problems with them?
    I remember a family friend had a 97 Cougar with the 4.6 and it was nothing but problems, the car finally blew a headgasket with only 128k miles on it.

I love the looks of these cars, and I have always been a big fan of full size RWD V8 cars. Somebody please tell me I'm wrong! lol

Thanks
    -85 Town Car: Crushed, gone to a better place.
    -91 Grand Marquis: With the Town Car
    -94 Grand Marquis: My DD

The early 4.6s, 91-95 had bad valve seals. So after a while, they would start blowing blue smoke like mine does.
    The coolant issue comes from the new intake implemented in 1996. It took them until 1999 and a class-action lawsuit to realize that the plastic coolant crossover tube was a bad idea. It was replaced with an aluminum crossover.
    The intake manifolds from early (-95) suck. They are all aluminum and they have highly restricted flow. And the Non-Performance Improved (NPI) also have horrible flow. That's why the earlier 4.6s were rated at a ashpault-burnining 190 hp.
    I have 214k on my 93, it leaks oil like crazy. And it's still going strong.

Any other questions/ issues?

-ryan s.
    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
    Originally posted by pantera77
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

I wouldn't be afraid of a 4.6 Townie. The issues are well documented and these cars are tough and can easily go 300K with little problem. How new are you looking to go? The 03+ have the revised suspension with rack and pinion steering and drive really nice.
      2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
      2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
      Past Panthers
      1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
      if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

03+ also have the performance improved heads and get more zoom zoom.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Also heavier. They don't zoom as well, say, a aero vic or Tank...

-ryan s.
          08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
          03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
          97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
          94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
          73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
          12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
          Originally posted by pantera77
          Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Fastest stock Panther (other than Marauder obviously) I've driven was my Grandfather's 98 TC Touring Sedan. It moved out really nice, with the stiffer suspension and 3.55s out back. Motor Trend back in the day got a 7.9 to 60.
            2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
            Past Panthers
            1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Comment

Thanks for the input. I should have been a little more detailed about what I'm looking for. I had planned on spending around 2-2500. I haven't seen very many 98+ around here for that price, but I may get lucky. I like the looks of the 91-97's a little better and that sucks to hear about the problems they had.

Comment

You could always look for a 90. They were the new style, but still had the 5.0.
                Past Panthers

Comment

I had thought about that too, but that's like finding a needle in a haystack

Comment

1990 Town Cars aren't too rare, there's actually one for sale down the street from my house. Although I've heard that some of the trim pieces for the '90 TC are one-year-only parts, so they're hard to find or replace.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
                    2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
                    2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

Personally I would go for a 95-97 TC if you have the money. However I've been noticing a lot of '90-'94 Town Cars for sale dirt cheap too. A lot of them are in great shape and asking prices below 3 grand. Worst case scenario you sink a couple hundred bucks into initial repairs but then you have an extremely reliable and comfortable car!

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
                      2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
                      2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

My favorite older TC is the 89. Next would be the 96-97 All should fit into your price range in great conditon.

Comment

I was thinking, the 95-97's that had the intake issues..shouldnt they all be fixed by now? I mean, in the last 15 years, i would think the problems would be fixed by now

Comment

The LCM is a common problem for at least my 03 MGM. I had to change the fan resistor, don't remember the years effected. 2000 to 2003 have the timing chain tensioner issue too. None of them very difficult, even the tensioners (unless you're an idiot! ).

The 03+ suspension is much more expensive to repair.

Pete
                            For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                            1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                            1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

The LCM is a common problem in all cars so equipped. Period.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X