Engine swap advice wanted.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine swap advice wanted.

First off I know everyone has there own reasons for their response, but being new to Panthers I'd like to get some of the pro's and con's and throw out a possibility I have at my disposal.
    My reasons for asking are that my GM is a 92, I havent checked if its early or late yet but knowing my luck I got a bastard block.
    I noticed today that when revved up a bit it puffs blue, not sure if its valve seals or rings yet but if its a bastard block I think i'd rather do a swap than fix it.

Heres my questions,
    5.0L HO swap.... What headers fit, will Fox headers and H-pipe fit?
    What mounts fit, do I need to move the trans and what about throttle/TV linkage?
    And is there any threads going into detail on the wiring involved?
    Not sure if I want to do the 5.0 since my 92 T-bird 5.0HO isnt really that impressive as far as power goes.

351w same questions, and will the same header options fit with the taller deck height?

Now my other option since it would be different and I have a parts car with the powertrain in it with only 150k km's on it is a 90 3.8L s/c from a thunderbird supercoupe with an AOD behind it, I have the ECM and engine harness with it as well.
    I think with this option a 5spd swap would be a nice addition, although it would be nice with any option.

If I went with the 3.8s/c what mounts would work and again would I need to relocate the trans?

The 351W vs. 5.0HO are pretty similar with two extra expenses for the 351W:

Intake (there are a few combinations, but generally it's the F150 lighting setup or an aftermarket intake if you want EFI to fit under the stock hood. A carbed intake should fit but you'll have the expense of carb, fuel pump, TV cable hookup, etc. and if emissions matter there's only one intake I'm aware of that works.

Headers. You need 351W swap headers. I have BBK 351W Foxbody swap headers on my crown vic. I can't 100% guarantee it'd fit an aero, but it fits box 351W's.

Do you have to meet any emissions standards? What are they? Sniffer? Inspection? You can get a small block to pass tailpipe/sniffer emissions but probably not a visual inspection as most visual inspection areas have rules about going to older engine styles.

There are a couple people on here with different small block ford Aero panther swaps who can chime in as I'm not good with the details of that. I believe boxbody engine mounts will work though. Mustang H-pipes only fit kinda sorta. I have a BBK catted H-pipe and if I could do it again I'd do something custom. This is the general consensus of people around here with Mustang H-pipes.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
      The 351W vs. 5.0HO are pretty similar with two extra expenses for the 351W:

Intake (there are a few combinations, but generally it's the F150 lighting setup or an aftermarket intake if you want EFI to fit under the stock hood. A carbed intake should fit but you'll have the expense of carb, fuel pump, TV cable hookup, etc. and if emissions matter there's only one intake I'm aware of that works.

Headers. You need 351W swap headers. I have BBK 351W Foxbody swap headers on my crown vic. I can't 100% guarantee it'd fit an aero, but it fits box 351W's.

Do you have to meet any emissions standards? What are they? Sniffer? Inspection? You can get a small block to pass tailpipe/sniffer emissions but probably not a visual inspection as most visual inspection areas have rules about going to older engine styles.

There are a couple people on here with different small block ford Aero panther swaps who can chime in as I'm not good with the details of that. I believe boxbody engine mounts will work though. Mustang H-pipes only fit kinda sorta. I have a BBK catted H-pipe and if I could do it again I'd do something custom. This is the general consensus of people around here with Mustang H-pipes.
      No emissions testing in my area, at least not as of yet anyway.

So Fox body headers do fit?
      Any advantages to a carbed swap other than less electronics?
      Stock hood isnt a huge concern, might be nice for the sleeper effect but.... Does the newer whale front have anymore hood clearance?

Comment

Originally posted by 92 Marq View Post
        No emissions testing in my area, at least not as of yet anyway.

So Fox body headers do fit?
        Any advantages to a carbed swap other than less electronics?
        Stock hood isnt a huge concern, might be nice for the sleeper effect but.... Does the newer whale front have anymore hood clearance?
        Not much advantage to a carb beyond simplicity. I guess it's cheaper once you get to real high performance stuff since you just upgrade to a bigger carb and more aggressive intake instead of upper and lower intake, throttle body, tubing, injectors, MAF, etc. Generally speaking mileage will be worse but a well tuned carb will beat out a poorly tuned injection system, of course.

I don't think whale hoods will fit your car without a whole front end swap. But I'm not sure. I also don't think there's an aftermarket cowl or otherwise raised hood available.

Is this a daily driver? mostly city or highway miles? How much does gas mileage matter to you? How much money do you have to spend?

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Lincolnmania put a 5.0 HO in his 92 GM

Linky: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...yea-were-nuts!
          2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
          2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
          Past Panthers
          1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
          if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

The stock motor mounts fit.
            But yeah, it's pretty much all in that thread.

-ryan s.
            08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
            03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
            97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
            94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
            73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
            12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
            Originally posted by pantera77
            Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

No one likes the thought of a supercharged 3.8L in one of these cars?
              In stock form in the T-birds they would out run a stock 5.0L HO in a T-bird LX and there really isnt much of a weight difference between the T-bird and the Panther beleive it or not.

Comment

They do have a lot of torque down low, but I would think it would take a lot of fabrication and even more wiring to get it to go.
                2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                Past Panthers
                1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Originally posted by tjc78 View Post
                  They do have a lot of torque down low, but I would think it would take a lot of fabrication and even more wiring to get it to go.
                  Ya there might be a bit more wiring. Mounts would probably be an issue. Im sure I could use the linkage/cables from the bird though.

Nice sig... I have a Caddy too.

Comment

I'd rather have a 5.0 and turbo it vs. the SC motors. How many HG's do you feel like changing, lol..
                    These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

It took 12PSI of boost to get 230HP from the SC. It takes alot of cash to mod them. Stick with a V8. Nitrous on an Explorer 5.0 engine with a cam swap and a carb will put you in the 12s. It is less cost to run a 5.0 vs a 5.8.

Comment

Working...
                      X