Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5spd swap with a bastard block????

Has anyone done it?
    If I understand the Bastard block it uses the same bellhousing as a 5.0L?
    If this is correct then a T5 should bolt up, correct?
    Where would the shifter end up being located with a T5 and is there a flywheel that can be used for this combo?
    Also would the clutch pedals seen on the forum work with this?

Plans are to run the 4.6 until it blows and then swap to a 5.0 or 5.8 since it seems to be easier than swapping to a late 92+ 4.6. Unless i try the s/c 3.8 swap. But that still uses the 5.0 bellhousing.

I've done a t5 swap on an 89, and seen a swap on a 95 so maybe I can help a bit.

The shifter location for a fox body t5, ends up just a bit forward. If you use the stock mustang shifter you have to lean a bit, but not too bad. I made a longer shifter out of a brake pedal, but then again I tend to like a long, easy to reach shifter, and I don't power shift all that often.
    The pedal setup in an 89 is a bit of a pain, but on a 90 through at least 95) clutch pedal tube etc just mounts on top of the brake pedal box.
    I cut my brake pedal down to the same shape as the mustang pedal, and it looks stock if you don't stare too hard.
    You will also need the smaller brake booster. On a box body, the booster isn't very thick, but it's as big around as a large dinner plate. On some of the later models it's fat, but smaller in diameter. You'll need the smaller diameter one so you'll have room to route your clutch cable.

If your car has abs you're probably ok. If you don't and you have the large diameter booster, you'll need to make sure you source a booster from a later model, NON ABS car. The master cylinder's are different.

I have no idea about the flywheel differences with a 4.6 bastard block. I'd check the part numbers at rock auto/autozone/etc for a flexplate between a 91 and a 92 crown vic. If they are the same you should be golden. If not... I have no idea other than to pick one up and see if it fits.
    Speaking of which not all flywheels are equal. I priced quite a few before finding the best deal at AZ for a new flywheel to fit a late 80's mustang. (no core) Of course this was before EVERYTHING started coming from china. Not sure I'd try that now, you'd probably be better off getting an oem one from a junkyard and getting it resurfaced.

Last but not least, once the t5 is in, make sure your driveshaft isn't too long, which seems to be a problem with some box bodies. My original fit, but when I swapped in a replacement, it bottomed out when the rear of the car was jacked up off the ground.
    Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
    AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
    Open/Lock/Ratio #
    -----------------------
    G / H / 2.26
    B / C / 2.47
    8 / M / 2.73
    7 / - / 3.07
    Y / Z / 3.08
    4 / D / 3.42
    F / R / 3.45
    5 / E / 3.27
    6 / W / 3.73
    2 / K / 3.55
    A / - / 3.63
    J / - / 3.85

Comment

the shifter sits further back on the 94-95 mustang gt t5 and dont quote me on this but the 94 up v6 model t5 should also fit (3,8 same bellhousing bolt pattern as the 5.0 and bastard block 4.6)

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Thanks GoodSam.... I may be asking you more as I collect parts. The shifter sounds like the same thing as the 5.0L T5 swap I did in a Rx7. I used the Granny's speed shop kit for that swap and one of the optional pieces was a shifter extension that relocated it. Wonder if that piece would work in this case?...

Lincolnmania, I do know the 3.8 T5 will bolt up and work behind a 5.0 from a 94-95 stang, a friend of mine swapped his 95 v9 car to a 5.0 and used the same trans, but he had issues with throw out bearings failing quite often. I was told once that the input shaft was a slightly different length between the two which if true may accout for his issue. Any idea if there was a difference on the input shaft?

Comment

It may be just easier to swap the 5.0 in with a T-5 if you're going to go through all the trouble, 4.6s are a lot more limited/expensive if you ever try to do any power-adding in the future.

But with duals, IIRC the '92 was 210 hp or so, which is enough to get these cars around as opposed to the 150 hp in the '80s-91 single exhaust.
          Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

And the Aeros are lighter, so that will help as well.

-ryan s.
            08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
            03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
            97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
            94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
            73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
            12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
            Originally posted by pantera77
            Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Well I broke THREE T-5's on my stock 90 5.0 Notchback so there is approx between no way and no fucking way in HELL I would swap a stock T-5 into anything let alone a car some 1000# heavier than my old Mustang. The brittle cast "Counter shaft" aka the cluster gear likes to snap teeth off.
              2004 Marauder M79 90K miles Jmod!! 14.85 @95.63
              2004 Crown Vic LX 135K Silver Birch Light flint leather FMX1 04 P-71 PCM swap 04 P-71 Airbox and Zip tube "$100 MZT" 01 F-250 70 MM TB 21mm swaybar wood steering wheel BH headlight relay

Comment

Originally posted by Chevyguy View Post
                Well I broke THREE T-5's on my stock 90 5.0 Notchback so there is approx between no way and no fucking way in HELL I would swap a stock T-5 into anything let alone a car some 1000# heavier than my old Mustang. The brittle cast "Counter shaft" aka the cluster gear likes to snap teeth off.
                Tell that to someone who has pulled full throttle holeshots in a T5-equipped Town Car (heaviest of the Panthers) daily for nearly two years now. i.e. me. The only upgrade I did to it was a billet cluster support to lessen case flex, which T5s are prone to do when torque is put to them.

Comment

People that hate the t-5 because they aren't string enough are people that don't know how to shift them right. It took me eating though a couple of them before I learned the art.
                  1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
                  2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
                  http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
                  sigpic

Comment

and it is an art. especially when the linkage is sloppy like on the 89 F150 I was driving for a while. Once I got used to it though, I could ramp that thing up pretty quick.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Im not too hard on them usually. Most of the people I see are like you guys said, hard on them or they have taken one from a miled out beat to shit fox body and swapped it in their car with out actually opening it up and inspecting/ repairing it first. Then add in the ones with weak clutch and/or pressure plate and it gets even worse.
                      Most of these issues can be dealt with before install and then with regular maintenance.
                      I would opt for the T56 swap but its a bit out of my budget right now.

Comment

My bud has a T5 mated to a 350 in an old CJ7 (Ford, Chevy, AMC, weird mix). When I posted on a jeep forum looking for some info for him I got a few answers like 'Yeah, here's some advice - ditch the toy tranny and get a real one'

I suspect it's got something to do with the power in front of them?

Pete
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                        1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                        1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Ya I think even the world class version is only rated at 300-320ftlbs. That was why GM quit offering them behind the 350 in the Camaro's and Firebirds and only offered them with a 305. But im sure with the right clutch and driving style they will hold up. There is always uprades to strengthen them as well.
                          Besides everyone out there that has pushed the limits on them and upgraded to something stronger just ends up doing more power upgrades because their tranny can "handle the power" now just pushes the new stronger tranny to the limit anyway.
                          Choosing between an AOD or a T5 personally I dont think it would take that long to decide. I have a "built" AOD in my T-bird and I still hate it.

Comment

I have a 4cyl T5 in my '67 Mustang that shifts like butter, and barring the investment that a T56 takes, I'll take a strengthened T5 over just about anything else any day. The one in my Town Car was clapped out when I bought it used, and the way I honk on it hasn't helped. Stills shifts better than most transmissions, but not as incredibly smooth as the babied one in the Mustang.

Comment

Working...
                            X