Performance ignition coils whats your favorite and why

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Performance ignition coils whats your favorite and why

As the title says what are your favorite C.O.P. coils and why. my O.E.M. coils are dropping like flies at 160k so I plan to upgrade while i change them. Any opinions?

I like the MSDs. I never had luck with the accel junk..but msd has changed our coils now to a fully sealed case there actually pretty dope

Comment

Just realized this was for the mod motors...anway I still like the msds

Comment

I did a bit of research before changing them on the 03 and ended up going with Motorcraft.

Pete
        Originally posted by gadget73
        For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
        1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
        1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Swap in a 302! ;p
          Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

I wish I could afford a swap! For now dual exhaust And minor bolt ons have to do

Comment

I was kinda kidding about swapping in the 302. Your best bet on a swap for the 4.6 cars is probably going to be the MarkVIII drivetrain with the aluminum block and 280hp & 24lb injectors (iirc) from the factory.

You can spend stupid money trying to tear into the 4.6 motor and upgrade, or you can do the PI swap from '05 motor or top end and computer from same. Really, the most simple things these 4.6 cars need to wake up is gears/traclok rear end and dual exhaust.

Actually, if you have stupid money to spend, I've seen 5.4L Ford Lightning supercharged motor swapped into a 4.6 cop car. The supercharger sticks way up out of the hood, so the vid I saw back in the day there wasn't even a hood on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VFvzbT4Jb8 There's one link, you can see others related to it.
              Last edited by sxcpotatoes; 01-11-2013, 11:05 AM.
              Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

You can also roll your own cold air intake with factory parts, forget if it's a marauder zip tube, and Police Interceptor Airbox or what parts are needed exactly.

Comment

yeah, I plan on a pi swap down the line, just only as time and $$ permit. Why the 05 plus and not 01 plus also you the first I've heard say to use the ecu

Comment

Marauder air box with 80mm MAF, PI zip tube, and tune. Or plug in a CVPI PCM with the intake. But you have to have PI heads.
                    Use the pcm for the PI swap since the injectors are calibrated to it.
                    The DOHC 4.6L motor can fit, but there are issues with the wiper cowl, steering linkage interference, and exhaust manifold issues.

I run MSD coil packs on the Tank and will eventually run MSD COPs on the Marauder.

-ryan s.
                    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                    Originally posted by pantera77
                    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Any REAL performance benefits to run a particular aftermaket coil as opposed to OEM?

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

So any positives or negatives about accel cop I have a awesome deal available for a set at right about 125$

Comment

Also, if I do the 05+ pi swap with the 05 plus PCM will I need a tune?

Comment

I have 3 Motorcraft low millage coil on plugs coils left 15.00 each pluss shiping
                            Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Sorry wanna upgrade, any one chime in on the need for a tune?

Comment

Working...
                              X