Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MarkVIII 32 Valve Heads?

I've been reading all sorts on the topic but thought I'd post anyway~
    Thinking of adding these plus Lincoln Intake to my 4.6.
    They're off a MarkVIII and Teskid block.
    Pretty sure mine is a Windsor.
    I've read they're may be some difference there.....
    Any thoughts or experience doing this or something similar?
    Will I need a Lincoln fuel rail or will mine work?
    Also- Upgrading to 24lb injectors from my stock 19 is probably wise as well?
    Thanks!
    1997 MGM (bought for a song) MODS: New 70mm MAF, True Duals w/ GlassPacks, 70mm TB, Full custom CAI w/ Cone Filter, SCT tune, Marauder 21mm rear sway, Moog end links, 29mm CVPI front sway, Trak Loc posi w/ 3:55's.

On The List: JMod, PI Intake, Ported Plenum, TB spacer (maybe) Fatter Tires for summer, HD Cop Shocks, Rims, and hopefully new green skin.

I believe the 24lb injectors are a must when going with a Mark VIII engine/intake. Anything over a 70mm mass air meter (I've seen 76 & 80mm ones listed for sale) needs the extra fuel to get the proper mix. I don't know if you'd be better just swapping a complete Mark VIII drivetrain in than to make a frankenmotor, if it is even possible. The MarkViiis had aluminum blocks and aluminum heads and the entire powerplant is much lighter, and more powerful (280+) stock.
    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Yeah...This is what I'm trying to figure out.
      The dude that has them says he was going to put them on his Marauder and that they were a direct bolt on....But I'm not so sure.
      Hard to find any definitive info on it.
      1997 MGM (bought for a song) MODS: New 70mm MAF, True Duals w/ GlassPacks, 70mm TB, Full custom CAI w/ Cone Filter, SCT tune, Marauder 21mm rear sway, Moog end links, 29mm CVPI front sway, Trak Loc posi w/ 3:55's.

On The List: JMod, PI Intake, Ported Plenum, TB spacer (maybe) Fatter Tires for summer, HD Cop Shocks, Rims, and hopefully new green skin.

Comment

the short blocks are a direct bolt on to those heads, the aluminum block is just lighter. I haven't seen any production 4.6 that wasn't a direct bolt on to another 4.6. Now whether the stuff above the heads will bolt on depends on the heads.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Right.....my concern is also spending a ton of coin to make 'em work. Re: Heater pipe, fuel rails, injectors, gasket set, timing covers etc.
          I know they'd be a great boost (basically marauder top end) but I just don't know if it'd be worth it.
          I found a modified PI intake with everything you need to bolt onto non PI heads and am seriously thinking about just doing that.
          Whole kit is $500.

Comment

No.
            Mark8's have B-series heads. They are not Marauder heads, which are C-heads. They have the tumble port heads which flow a bunch better.
            What year is your car?
            You will need the exhaust manifolds, intake manifold, throttle body, intake, coolant crossover tube, the engine harness, fuel rail, injectors, all the sensors and valves. Timing chain cover from 1992-1995 Panther, etc.
            You will need a Romeo headed motor to do the swap. They only made Romeo heads on the Teksid based Mark8's.
            The wider motor will present issues with the steering linkage, the frame, wiper cowl, etc.
            You will have to run premium fuel. I know Canada doesn't have the cheapest petrol right now. I judge this from the long lines at the pumps I see on the weekends.
            You would be better off swapping the entire motor/drive train.
            An even better option would be running C-heads, which are found in Maruaders, Cobras, Navigators, Aviators. I have access to C-heads, if you want them.
            If you don't want to spend a lot of money, then I would not recommend the 4v Mark8 motor.
            I would recommend the PI swap to start. It is relatively inexpensive and highly accessible.
            Regardless, you will need different injectors. A bigger MAF wouldn't hurt either.

-ryan s.
            08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
            03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
            97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
            94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
            73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
            12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
            Originally posted by pantera77
            Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Also, I would recommend putting the PI heads on the Teksid block. You can drop 84 lbs from the front of your car and get a hella strong block.
              You would have to mind the water jacket on the driver side, and check the length of the dowel pins for the tensioners.
              This is what I'm doing with the Tank, except I'm swapping over the internals and heads from the 06 CVPI motor I have into the Teksid block.

-ryan s.
              03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
              97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--

Comment

Thanks so much for the information.
                That's exactly what I was looking for.
                I've also come across, locally, an interceptor 2005 4.6 for cheap and am going to look at it this weekend.
                There's nothing wrong with my engine but if the price is right ill take the PI heads and intake off the interceptor and put hem on mine.
                Should be a direct swap, no?
                My block is a Romeo I'm fairly certain as the vin code is W.
                I had originally thought it meant Windsor but now I know better. Lol.
                My car is a 1997 MGM btw. And thanks again for your input.

Comment

The easiest way to find out is to count the valve cover bolts. Romeos have 11, and Windsors have 13.
                  They are a direct swap, and you should see a slight increase is compression over the PI motors because of the NPI internals.
                  Don't forget the PCM!

-ryan s.
                  03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

Right. Dude with the interceptor has the PCM for it. Are you suggesting if I swap to PI heads and intake I ought to use the PCM as well?
                    I have an SCT flash tuner and was thinking I could just get a tune including the updated heads?
                    And thanks for the tip re: valve cover gasket bolts. I'll check as soon as I'm back home. (Drive a rig)

Comment

to keep wiring easy, just swap the heads and intake. Keep your fuel system. Then tune your PCM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

+1
                        I did not know about the SCT stuff you had. Heads and intake for the win. That would also be a great time to replace the timing chain tensioners.

-ryan s.
                        03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

Sly and svt thanks for your help.
                          This will be the best route to go and yes- replacing those tensioners will be a nice bonus.
                          I'll keep you guys posted.

Comment

What's wrong with the 05 you're looking at? Personally i'd rather just drive the 05 since it's already got everything you want plus other upgrades like dual exhaust, sway bars, updated suspension and steering, stiffer springs/shocks and engine oil/trans coolers.

Or swap the 4.6 PI into your car and drop a 3V 4.6 into the 05
                            88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                            Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Hey 88, the 05 is engine only plus PCM if I want it.
                              My 97 MGM is getting close with all the suspension upgrades- have a rear marauder sway on it and added duals a couple months ago and have cop shocks and a front sway coming sometime next week.
                              Been looking at those 3v heads though and they look pretty sweet.
                              I was thinking that little by little I'd build the interceptor with them and have a new engine ready to go whenever I needed it.

Comment

Working...
                              X