Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking at a 94 GM, have some questions....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at a 94 GM, have some questions....

I hope this is the right place for this.
    I'm considering buying a 94 GM with 184xxx Km's (not miles). Its an older retired guy with it that bought it from the original owner or that's the story at least.
    The car is clean, never smoked in, seems to run really well, although valve seals could be hard to diagnose in the cold. But it has a few little things that i'm wondering if its common to lead to more serious issues.
    First one which is relatively minor is the right rear window drops a little and needs assistance going up. I'm pretty sure its the guts in the window motor since it seems to be the same as my T-bird was.
    The ones that bug me a bit are the heater control and fan. Its not climate control, the sliders to set floor, defrost, etc have to be wiggled around a lot to hit the right spot for the heater to even come on. Then the fan only has hi, all other speeds are dead. I'm assuming that's the resistor coils that are burnt. My truck was bad for those.
    Also the clock is not working at all. Again minor but being right in the same area of the dash should I be worried about wiring issues and possibly shorts that could get a lot worse?

Also where is the fan resistor on these cars?

Other thing is it did have the trailer package but the hitch is removed now. He says it only pulled a small trailer but didn't say what type or how heavy. Should I be concerned with the trans having issues?

If the car had a towing package from the factory,i believe that means it has a trans cooler. If so, then I dont think towing a little trailer would have done any harm to the trans. Just my 2 cents

And these cars are notorious for having window motor problems, they arent too hard to fix. I think the biggest pain is getting the door panels off and back on.
    -85 Town Car: Crushed, gone to a better place.
    -91 Grand Marquis: With the Town Car
    -94 Grand Marquis: My DD

Comment

I've done all four motors in my Tank.
      My clock was acting funny, so I just replaced it with another one from the yard and problem solved! (Every time I would hit the fuel door release, the clock would reset to 12:00)

-ryan s.
      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
      Originally posted by pantera77
      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Any ideas on the heater issues?
        Its cold out right now and intermittent or no heat would suck.

Comment

the controls are notorious for the vent control being like that. as for the blower resistor... only if you have manual controls... it should be in the same place as the boxes (just to the right of the heater core under the hood). If it's the automatic controls... it's under the dash in some unknown to me off the top of my head location. I'll try to remember to look it up during lunch today.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Just checked... either way, it's in the same spot, just different connectors and the ATC version is a pricy bastage. typically can be fixed by refreshing the solder joints.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Cool thank you.

Comment

If 94's had the plastic intake, its surely been replaced by now, but that is one thing to look out for on 4.6 cars.
                Also if the ball joints are original they are most likely bad. I'd get those checked by a shop, if you know how the owner still might not want you "messing around with it" if he's crotchety. Also I'd look for wetness from rear axle seals on the backing plates. All you have to do is peek from underneath to see that. Also check if the parking brake works, it probably doesn't.
                Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                sigpic
                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

nah... 94s have the aluminum intake of suckage just like all other 92-95 aeros.

Comment

What's the asking price?
                    '79 Continental Town Car
                    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                    '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
                      What's the asking price?
                      $1500 but he is somewhat open to offers. And he kind of wants my 94 Sonoma.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                        nah... 94s have the aluminum intake of suckage just like all other 92-95 aeros.
                        Atleast its not the plastic intake of breakage!!!

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Working...
                        X