Tailgate party ...not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tailgate party ...not

About ready to dig into tailgate on an 87. Just waiting on some extra energy and time. There are several issues with this one.
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

You are a brave man, Dave. I've messed with mine a bit but I've never dared to unbolt the hinges. Mainly because I don't want to try and rehang it by myself.
    Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
    AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
    Open/Lock/Ratio #
    -----------------------
    G / H / 2.26
    B / C / 2.47
    8 / M / 2.73
    7 / - / 3.07
    Y / Z / 3.08
    4 / D / 3.42
    F / R / 3.45
    5 / E / 3.27
    6 / W / 3.73
    2 / K / 3.55
    A / - / 3.63
    J / - / 3.85

Comment

Those things are a massive pain to align and adjust. The hinges just seem overly feeble for the weight they carry.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I have a hinge pin kit I bought for my '88 a couple years back, and got rid of the '88. They say they're for chrysler or something but the guy at the Napa and one of the guys on here assured me they were the proper replacement pins/bushings.
        Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

To start out the owner had the window taped up to stop water from getting in. He removed the tape pryor to me working on it.
          Noticed the window had a gap perty much all the way arounf the roof and side pillers. Possidly do to the condition of the rubber seal and removal of the tape part of the seal lip is gone on the right side of the seal. The rest of it is in bad shape but all there.

Next was opening the tailgate. Could rais and lower the window but couldnt unlock the tailgate to open it. The eletric door lock actuator is jammed up. Squirted some blaster into the tailgate helped some of the linkage for the handles and mechanical mecinisums but not the lock actuator. Finialy unlocked it bu usinf some needle nose plyers to pul up the lock button/ rod. Also pinched my finger in the process left a big blood blister.

Opening the tailgate downward worked but was hard to disingage from the left side required some yanking and a few smacks. Easy to open swiging out but lifting on the open end showed play for the most part in the lower piviot pin.

The lower piviot pins wear is what makes it difficult to disengage on the left end at the top guide / latch when lowering the gate. It dosent appear to through off the door alignment when its closed. Gaps around the door all lok about even.

Comment

Removing the tailgate pannel to acess window adjustments.

Has a screw in the top edge of each side need to be removed, and then a bunch of push pins to pop loose.

.Click image for larger version

Name:	TAILGATE PAARTY 006.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	1270491 Click image for larger version

Name:	TAILGATE PAARTY 005.JPG
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	1270492

Comment

Window in the full down position.
              Woundering if is susposed to stick up a bit and it sits upwardd more to the left than right??
              This bias to the left being higher to the right closes up a bit when fully closed but the window itself needs to be moved horizontaly to the right and a bit upward on the right fully closed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TAILGATE PAARTY 004.JPG
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	1270493
              Last edited by turbo2256b; 01-17-2013, 06:59 PM.

Comment

that doesn't look right. Pretty sure that should run all the way down and not stick up.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  that doesn't look right. Pretty sure that should run all the way down and not stick up.
                  My thoughts too.

Comment

2 pannels have to be removed to reach all adjustments.

Name:	TAILGATE PAARTY 007.JPG
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	1270494 left side Click image for larger version

Name:	TAILGATE PAARTY 009.JPG
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	1270496 right side

Name:	TAILGATE PAARTY 008.JPG
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	1270495 left side Click image for larger version

Name:	TAILGATE PAARTY 010.JPG
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	1270497 right side
                    Last edited by turbo2256b; 01-17-2013, 07:22 PM.

Comment

To get at the adjustments attached to the window mounting channel the window has to be raised half way. Trick to this is to flip the latch on the right end to latched position. Caution donot close the tailgate in window fully up position.
                      To close tailgate pull the opening handle to unlatch the latch lower window at least half way or more.

Name:	TAILGATE PAARTY 011.JPG
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	1270498unlatched

Name:	TAILGATE PAARTY 012.JPG
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	1270499 latched

Now window can be raised and lowered using the key. The lock rod can catch on the tail gate sometimes as the key locks and unlocks before raising or lowering the window.

Comment

Here is the window raised about half way looking at the window mounting and guide rods.

Name:	TAILGATE PAARTY 014.JPG
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	1270501 left Click image for larger version

Name:	TAILGATE PAARTY 013.JPG
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	1270500right

The left side adjusts left and right movement of the glass. The right side adjusts the fore and aftr movement of the glass.

Looking at the left side notice the adjustment guide bushing is facing upward. The right bushing is facing downward.
                        The right bushing facing down loosining up the 2 bolts allows movement (fore and aft). Loosinig the bolts on the left side does not allow movement (left and right) although the holes are sloted to do so. This leads me to believe the guide bushing on the left is upside down (should be facing down as the other side).
                        To fix this the guide rod must be removed with the guide bushing. Slid of the bottom of the rod, flipped and slid back on the rod, then the rod reinstalled. The guide bushing then must be adjusted to position window properly right and left.
                        Last edited by turbo2256b; 01-17-2013, 10:31 PM.

Comment

pretty sure the window protrudes just a little in the full down position.
                          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

These two sloted holes and fasteners (just to the left of the right access pannel) seem to be able to adjust the up and down of the right end of the window. Must pivot the window regulaator some what. Havent found anythig so far to adjust the left end just riveted fasteners.

Name:	TAILGATE PAARTY 015.JPG
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	1270505
                            Last edited by turbo2256b; 01-17-2013, 10:50 PM.

Comment

There are to stops to limit upward travel this is the right hand one there is also a left one. lossing the nut allows the stop in the other pic to be adjusted up and down.

Name:	TAILGATE PAARTY 016.JPG
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	1270506 Click image for larger version

Name:	TAILGATE PAARTY 017.JPG
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	1270507

Comment

Working...