Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just Purchased a 1998 Marquis!

Hello,

I just purchased a one owner 1998 Grand Marquis GS with 83,000 miles. I am loving the quiet comfort. I've been driving little rattle cans since I've owned my own cars and just got sick of it. I'm 26 and all my friends and family are making old man jokes, but I sure love the ride! Everything works right now, but I was wondering what I should be looking out for as far as maintenance goes. I am aware of the intake issue and it's inevitable failure. I learned about it first hand when the coolant temperature sensor, bung and all, blew out of the intake while I was test driving my neighbors 99 Crown Vic, which has 127,000 miles.

Thanks,

Casey

Welcome Casey.

Enjoy your new ride.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Welcome to the Party!!

-ryan s.
      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
      Originally posted by pantera77
      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

put magnaflow duals on it and a stage one intake and it'll sound very nice and probably stop the old man jokes.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Welcome!
          2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
          2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
          Past Panthers
          1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
          if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Welcome! throw up some pics when you get a chance.

If you think YOU got old man jokes, try having an 85 with whitewalls and vinyl halfroof when you were 17. The jokes usually stop after the first roadtrip when your friends go "wait, this thing is more comfortable than a first class plane ticket."

The intake is really the only common issue that I can think of with that era. Check all the basics that would be wrong on an 80K 15 year old car. Fuel and air filter, pcv valve, spark plugs, maybe get it up in the air and check the front suspension to be sure none of that "boaty handling" is actually worn steering components.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
            160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
            waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

drop a traclok in it if it dont already have one
              89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Where are you located?
                03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

The exhausts on these are stainless, you should never need to replace them unless you have an accident or something, and you can rob the dual-stainless system off a cop version of the '98-02s or any car of that vintage in the junkyard with HPP (Handling and Performance Package). Also snag the rear swaybar off the HPP or CVPI (Crown Vic Police Interceptor) for much better handling.
                  Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Welcome!!!
                    '79 Continental Town Car
                    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                    '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I didn't get any email notifications that there were replies!

The car has the handling and performance package. I think there is a badge on the passenger dash that says traclok but I can't remember away from the car. Would that mean it has limited slip?

I'll try and get some pics up soon. I am located in Gaston, Or.

Comment

I do have a question on the engine. When accelerating or under load the engine makes a rattling sound. Is that detonation? I am using regular gas. I haven't done any hard accelerations to see what she'll do because of this.

If I change the spark plugs do I run the risk of stripping out the threads? I heard that was a problem with these engines. What plugs should I get?

Comment

I like the OEM plugs - not sure if this engine is aluminum but to be safe I'd use a torque wrench. Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

The dash says PrecisionTrac and not traclok. How can I check if I have the traclok?

Thanks,

Casey

Comment

the heads are aluminum... the block should be iron. Unless the plugs are seized in place, getting them out is easy. Just don't over torque them going back in as that will screw up the threads in the head and be a bad thing. Not sure about that PrecisionTrac moniker. It would lead me to believe that it is equipped.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X