Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Issue with idling..only when ac/heater is on.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issue with idling..only when ac/heater is on.

This has got to be a common issue and its quiet annoying actually,car is fine when cruising but soon as i turn on the heater or ac it kinda ranges in the rpm id say maybe 200 300 rpms, just a guess.

I don't know much about the 4.6 but typically when you have the ac on the engine has a bigger load than normal. The ac is also on for the defrost setting.

I'd check iac, and also plugs and wires. If they are fine in regular conditions but failing in a heavier load they may be failing
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

on the mod motors... this tends to be an indicator of tune-up parts being needed... or severe neglect and the oil is about tar. It could also indicate excessive power draw or weak alternator. I'd check the electricals first (cables, harnesses and stuff) for tightness and make sure the alternator is up to snuff at low RPM. After that, I'd check the plugs and wires/cops to see if they're in good condition. Use a torque wrench with the plugs when putting them back in. you do NOT want to overtorque on aluminum heads.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yea,im going to check the voltage on my alternator and see if it drops when i hear the engine rev up and down,as for plugs i have not changed them as of yet.

Comment

Working...
        X