Da "Classic"...if ever???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Da "Classic"...if ever???

Ok, so I have been in the shadows for sometime here.....

Question is simple:
    When will our rides (80 -89....Town Cars), be considered a "classic" car?

Personally,...ones man junk is anothers treasure.....
    But, when I look at my Dads first car, a 68 Barracuda, I wonder...........

Im 36, and my 88 Towny is my ride FROM MY DAY....
    So like 20 years from now?

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

according to the laws in most states... 25-30 years... so 83 or older is classic already... here in Texas, my 88 is considered classic. Now for the realm of public opinion... anything that looks like a box tends to be considered old enough.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I can see it happening in another 20-30 years. They served for decades as airport taxis, limousines, and police cars and they're the car that somebody's grandpa or great aunt drove, so I think people will definitely have memories of them. They also have distinctive 80's styling cues, so nostalgic people will tend to associate them with that time period.

Right now there are just so many of them still out there that the collector value is really low. Probably a good number of them will last a few decades to true collector status. They still won't be rare as a Versailles or Mark VI will be at that point, so they probably won't be fetching the big bucks.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
      2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
      2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

They'll become expensive classics as soon as we sell ours.

Pete
        For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
        1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
        1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Originally posted by Piece-it pete View Post
          They'll become expensive classics as soon as we sell ours.

Pete
          This.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Frankly, I don't see much if anything from the 80s being super collectible (Grand National/GNX is the exception). The older "boxy" cars like Townies, Fleetwood brougham, LeSabre, Olds 98s, etc will probably stay around the same value for a while. In twenty years when they really start to drop off you may see a slight bump.
            2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
            2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
            Past Panthers
            1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
            if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Part of value is based on how scarce it is.
              Cash for Clunkers helped (even though it was a bullshit gov program)
              Twenty years will weed out alot more.

I guess once we sell ours, technically that could be correct, yet even more,
              if the car is totaled or removed from the marker forever.
              I just dont see the pod cars of the nineties ever being collectable (Man I wish could find me a Nissan Sentra....or Altima!!!)

Anyway, my Towncar could be worth $3000 or $6000 twenty years from now, I dont give a shit,
              its all about the wierd passion I have for the vehicle itself.(I am sure we could all agree on this)
              Last edited by Grand1; 02-11-2013, 09:11 PM.

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Comment

Dear Panthers,

Design and scarcity. Ten years ago, when I bought my 89 CP, I still saw plenty of boxes on the road. Now, the few I see are 1 step from the scrapyard. Personally, I like the box front end with that enormous hood but the chrome - particularly on the tailgate - is tacky. The Shooting Brake has been modified for my needs (economy, efficiency, safety) which aren't most peoples' top wishes. Even if "classic" boxes become more valuable, I don't expect mine will.

Donald McCaig

Comment

Haha I agree with Grand1! My best friend once said "to describe Taylor I first need to tell you about his car (1988 TC), because without that knowledge you won't understand him!" Lol

Comment

One of the guys in the body shop said this to me. When your car is parked out front, everybody stops to look and talks to us about it. It's not like they say 'man I wish I had one of those' or "is he selling it?' It is more like they would talk about a Pacer as a funny item of curiosity or something that they would never want themselves.
                    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

When I was young you could buy a 4 door '60s Continental convertible pretty cheap, they were just seen as old cars for the most part. Now not so much. Ditto on clean low mileage Darts sitting in some old ladies garage. Now good luck. Time does strange things, folks often pine for their memories when they age.

So maybe someday.

Pete
                      For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                      1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                      1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Working...
                      X