coolers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

coolers?

Alrightie crew, I've read repeatedly the warnings about heat and the 4R70W so was going to measure out how much room I have for a cooler.

So I'm looking at the GMarq closely and between the A/C evaporator and the radiator I see what appears to be a transmission cooler but it also has lines running over to the power steering pump/reservoir.

It is 22"x6" which is 132sq" and I can buy a Hayden 15.5x10 which would bump me up to 155sq".
    And since part of the OEM unit appears to be dedicated to the PS fluid, my transmission is NOT getting the benefit of 132sq" of cooling anyway.
    BUT if I pull the OEM cooler and go with the Hayden, then there's no accommodation for cooling the power steering fluid.

Therefore I'm thinking that I do need to add a better/bigger transmission cooler but would have to leave the OEM cooler in place to accommodate the PS fluid. That's probably the cheaper way out.

However, I could buy a small 12x7.5 Hayden for the PS fluid and the bigger one for the tranny and remove the OEM cooler entirely.
    But I don't think I'd be able to get both of them between the A/C evap and the radiator. 10 + 7.5 might be taller than the face of the radiator. I roughed it at 16" on the face. The only way to fit them both MAY be to run the 12x7.5 cooler in a vertical orientation next to the 15.5x10 transmission cooler. Then I've got 7.5+15 wide which is 23 and might just BARELY work in width, but height of 12 and 15.5 works fine on the front of the radiator. Just don't know if it's kosher to put the 12x7.5 cooler in a vertical orientation with the lines at the bottom or not.

But there are also Derale coolers that are 11.25" x 11" and 7.5" x 11" which would fit much nicer.
    The question is... does anyone know if Derale coolers are actually more efficient so that they'll cool as effectively as the bigger Haydens making them the better option?? They're more expensive but not by a whole lot.

Thoughts? Comments? Cash donations? Recommendations for a good shrink to help me work through Pantheritis?
    2000 Grand Marquis
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee ...wifes...
    1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer ...6" lift, 33's, fun but a money pit...
    1987 Jeep Street Comanche #24 of 100 ...ya don't wanna ask unless you've got lots of time...

Personally, if the car has a trailer tow pack or similar factory auxillary trans cooler, and you're planning on staying fairly stock, I wouldn't worry about it.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Working...
    X