identifying some odd stuff underneath

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

identifying some odd stuff underneath

OK so I'm driving the GMarq today and suddenly it started sounding a little like my GWag w/ the Flowmaster!
    Crap.

Got it in JeepNut's Garage and on the stands to find that all of the clamps and bolts in the flanges are almost completely disintegrated.

So much so that the drivers side pipe / cat flange has separated.

sooo..... guess I'm going to install a dual exhaust setup. This is me This is the wifey poo
    Weird part is that upon cursory inspection the pipes / cat / muffler all seem really solid. But the cheap bolts and clamps are rotted away. So I might get away with a cat back set. Rubber hangars are rotted too...

While I'm under there breifly (cause it snowed here yesterday and she's still dripping all over my garage floor) I see these two oddities that I don't recognize at all... any help with identifying?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	130306_018.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	1300415Click image for larger version

Name:	130306_019.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	1300416

Thanks!
    2000 Grand Marquis
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee ...wifes...
    1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer ...6" lift, 33's, fun but a money pit...
    1987 Jeep Street Comanche #24 of 100 ...ya don't wanna ask unless you've got lots of time...

The "can" thing is a damper that gets rid of some of the harsh sounds and drone from the exhaust. Literally just a hunk of metal welded on at a scientifically determined weight and length to fight bad vibrations. Most people don't bother to re-install or replace when buying a new system.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Hi Jeepnut

The thing under the trunk floor is your EVAP canister.

Regards

Dereck
      President and founder of The Turbine Wheel Appreciation Society and Little Debbie Cake Connoissuer

Also "The Pondside Pain In Your Posterior"

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
        The "can" thing is a damper that gets rid of some of the harsh sounds and drone from the exhaust. Literally just a hunk of metal welded on at a scientifically determined weight and length to fight bad vibrations. Most people don't bother to re-install or replace when buying a new system.
        This.
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

A stock dual exhaust setup isn't terribly expensive, tell the wife to hush!
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
            Probably easier said then done (in reference to telling the wife to "zip it"!). Like the guy that said, "I'm the boss of this household and I've got my wife's permission to say so"!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Dereck View Post
              Hi Jeepnut
              The thing under the trunk floor is your EVAP canister.
              Ah.... interesting... Thanks!

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
              spoken like a true bachelor! ...but I'm fighting the urge to put some Flowmasters under this thing. Ain't nuthin' like the sound of a nice rumbly American V8... but I'm thinking she would NOT be amused.
              But I do think I'll go without the resonator type tailpipes and see what happens.

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
              Probably easier said then done (in reference to telling the wife to "zip it"!). Like the guy that said, "I'm the boss of this household and I've got my wife's permission to say so"!!
              Yup! Yup!

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
              The "can" thing is a damper that gets rid of some of the harsh sounds and drone from the exhaust. Literally just a hunk of metal welded on at a scientifically determined weight and length to fight bad vibrations.
              now that's just bizarre... I've been under a hundred different kinds of vehicles in my lifetime I'm sure, never seen such a thing...

Thanks all!
              2000 Grand Marquis
              2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee ...wifes...
              1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer ...6" lift, 33's, fun but a money pit...
              1987 Jeep Street Comanche #24 of 100 ...ya don't wanna ask unless you've got lots of time...

Comment

they're also counter weighted and supposedly help to balance the exhaust as well.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by JeepNut View Post
                  ...now that's just bizarre... I've been under a hundred different kinds of vehicles in my lifetime I'm sure, never seen such a thing...
                  First time I saw them was on my 88 CV wagon when I was 17, but yeah only on these cars.
                  The rate at which things rust around here I figured it was better to leave the extra weight off as it would probably speed up (maybe not by much) how long it takes for rusted stuff to break and start dragging down the road.
                  Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                  ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                  ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                  ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

With stock size tailpipes the flowmasters won't be too loud... I have them on mine w/stock pipes and its pretty mellow, but sounds sexy!
                    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                    sigpic
                    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Working...
                    X