Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Ignition and Steering Wheel Are Both Locked - 2001 Grand Marquis

Hello,

I have a 2001 Grand Marquis. Often the ignition locks up so I need to wiggle the steering wheel a little bit to unlock it.

My wife had the car and she wiggled the steering wheel too much to unlock the ignition and ended up locking the steering wheel.

Now the ignition and the steering wheel are both locked up. I've tried wiggling the steering wheel the little that it can while turning the key, plus tapping the breaks, but I can't get either to unlock.

Any suggestions?

move the steering wheel whatever direction it will move. some force may be needed. it's resting on the lock with back pressure from the wheels.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

you can be fairly mean to it. It will unlock. Just basically keep fiddlefucking with it using significant (but not maximum) force and it should go.
      Last edited by johnunit; 03-17-2013, 07:01 PM.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Working...
      X