PI Intake Kit for 2 Valve NPI Heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PI Intake Kit for 2 Valve NPI Heads

I know I saw a discussion regarding this on the site somewhere but a quick search hasn't yielded much so I thought I'd post the link and ask the question.
    Has anyone tried this? The page says 35 RWHP gain on stock. Is that bullshit?
    Think it's worth $500?
    Here's the link and thanks for looking.
    http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/...apter-Kit.html
    1997 MGM (bought for a song) MODS: New 70mm MAF, True Duals w/ GlassPacks, 70mm TB, Full custom CAI w/ Cone Filter, SCT tune, Marauder 21mm rear sway, Moog end links, 29mm CVPI front sway, Trak Loc posi w/ 3:55's.

On The List: JMod, PI Intake, Ported Plenum, TB spacer (maybe) Fatter Tires for summer, HD Cop Shocks, Rims, and hopefully new green skin.

I wouldn't pay $500 for that.
    You could do a whole pi head swap for that price.

-ryan s.
    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
    Originally posted by pantera77
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Not worth it IMO... You can get the FRPP PI intake from Jeg's for $230, and a gasket set from Advance Auto parts for $30. You're still gonna be stuck mating a better flowing intake up to the crappy NPI heads. If you're gonna do the PI swap, the hassle and aggrivation of it just doesn't make sense to me if you're not gonna do the heads and all. I'm very skeptical of a 35 RWHP gain from doing the PI intake swap alone... Maybe after dyno tuning, but I'd say that easily half of that could be accomplished by going and getting a decent tune without any other changes.

2000 Mercury Grand Marquis GS HPP - SOLD
      Wore out the cam chain tensioners and jumped time at 176k miles.

Comment

We port NPI heads for PI intakes. The NPI heads will flow more than PI heads of course we do PI heads too. The combustion chambers in the PI heads hurt a bit because of the sort of dam in the chamber near the intake valve. We have tried removing part of it and all of it. Taking more than about a 1/3 of it out goes badly. We also have made special valves for 2V heads but are not worh using in unported heads as HP increase would be negligable
        Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Think some have gooped the heck out of gaskets and used the PI intake on the NPI heads dont know if it worked well.

Comment

Just looked at there ported NPI cylinder heads lol we get like 240 out of them they get under 210. There ported stage 3 PI s are close to the same we discoverd 1mm larger valves hurt the flow and so did aftermarket valves so we designed are own. Doubt there are any left at the shop though. Used to do 3 to 5 set of modular heads a month.
            Last edited by turbo2256b; 03-21-2013, 01:16 PM.

Comment

35hp? No.
              With a tune. Maybe.
              Realistically, 10-15hp, 15-20ft/lbs of torque. Maybe.
              But pair that with PI heads, and then 35hp is looking easily attainable.
              I know ported NPI flow better, but it's usually cheaper to acquire PI heads. Especially when most people DD their cars and can't afford to have the heads off the vehicles for extended periods of time.

-ryan s.
              03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
              97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--

Comment

Thanks for the input gentlemen.... Perhaps I'll look at porting my heads since I need new valve guide seals at this point as well. Blue smoke after an idle....
                After porting, btw, one would then use a standard PI intake and not the one advertised above, correct?
                1997 MGM (bought for a song) MODS: New 70mm MAF, True Duals w/ GlassPacks, 70mm TB, Full custom CAI w/ Cone Filter, SCT tune, Marauder 21mm rear sway, Moog end links, 29mm CVPI front sway, Trak Loc posi w/ 3:55's.

On The List: JMod, PI Intake, Ported Plenum, TB spacer (maybe) Fatter Tires for summer, HD Cop Shocks, Rims, and hopefully new green skin.

Comment

Yeah, a regular PI intake will work.
                  I saw one on Jegs for $189 yesterday/this morning.
                  I'd recommend an aftermarket upper plenum and a bigger throttle body as well. I'd want to make the best of that PI intake/head swap!

-ryan s.
                  03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

Right.... I have a 75mm TB and just yesterday swapped it back to the stock 70 mm and it made a big difference in get up and go.
                    I think it was too much for all the NPI intake stuff but will keep for the future upgrades.
                    And I found a ported plenum for $155 on the ADTR site.

Comment

I've read that you can run into aggravation trying to use PI intake on NPI heads.....

Comment

I just did this swap on my car two weeks ago.
                        Let me try and make a write up for it today.

-ryan s.
                        03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

Originally posted by SVT98t View Post
                          I just did this swap on my car two weeks ago.
                          Let me try and make a write up for it today.

-ryan s.
                          That would be much appreciated man...Thanks.

Comment

Well, I didn't upload the pics to my photobucket, so I can't do it at work. Suck.
                            But I'll work on it tonight.

-ryan s.
                            03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

Thanks again man...And you're saying you did a PI intake swap to NPI heads?

Comment

Working...
                              X