Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling all 4r70w gurus

Hi all,
    Have been working on several projects related to my 2000 Grand Marquis and am stuck. I have posted this also on another forum but am kinda desperate to get the Merc outta the garage as the wife's Jeep awaits a governor solenoid and sensor change and though that's pretty easy it is STILL to cold outside for my old bones to lay out in the drive way and do that.
    Included in my work on the Merc is:
    Fairbanks Transaction Kit #23007 for '91 and later AOD variants.
    Replace a broken 2-3 accumulator spring.
    Replaced a galled/worn pressure regulator valve.
    Replacing the separator plate with a Superior Super Tough plate.
    NOTE: If you look here: http://www.transmissioncenter.net/aode.htm and search for Armour Plated it should come up.
    Those who do so may note something I did not when I ordered this plate.
    ".... preventing costly No-Go's and comebacks in the Late 2000-up 4R70W/4R75W transmissions by helping to eliminate plate cracking and cross leaks..." This Merc was off the line in March 2000 so I would not call that a late 2000 4r70w. My bad, but hope springs eternal.... lol
    And finally doing the JMod per Rizzo's video which obviously is excellent.

Rizzo's video shows removal of two round plates that are accessed once you drop the valve body. However on my valvebody there are 3 plates. The same two that are shown in his video, but one more smaller plate with some slots cut in it. This image shows that 3rd plate before removing it from the valvebody.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3rd plate 4r70w 2000 GMarq reduced.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	1300463

I presumed the difference was really just the year of the tranny he worked on vs. my 2000 and proceeded with subsequent instructions integrating the new parts, the Transaction kit and the SuperTough plate.

Now I'm at the point of reassembling everything and I'm finding an issue.
    1. The Superior plate is not drilled exactly the same as the one removed from my 4r70w. There doesn't appear to be any accommodation for this "third plate" on the new SuperTough plate. This image shows the SuperTough plate at the bottom with BOTH gaskets overlayed on it. The VB gasket and the case gasket (on top in the image).

Click image for larger version

Name:	3rd plate -armour plate no holes reduced.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	1300464

In the upper part of the image is the old separator plate and the OEM VB gasket along side it.
    a. As I've annotated, if you reference the lower left hand hole on each plate, then compare that to the white circle on the SuperTough plate vs. the same area on the OEM plate, hole A in the SuperTough plate does not appear on the OEM plate. And holes B, C and D of the OEM plate do not appear on the SuperTough plate.
    b. Also notice that the new gasket BELOW hole A is not opened for this hole. Neither is the OEM gasket.
    c. As well hole A would be completely covered by this 3rd steel plate that was on the OEM separator plate. So I believe that effectively hole A will not function and should not cause me a problem.
    I feel like I need someone who knows the 4r70w intimately to confirm that.

2. The gasket provided with the Transaction kit is opened for holes B, C, and D just like the old gasket.

I'm thinking that since hole A is covered, I can just create holes B, C, and D in the SuperTough plate using the old plate as a template. And if I confirm that every OTHER hole in the SuperTough is either the same as the OEM, is covered by a gasket thereby blocking it off, or matches the JMod changes, then I should not have any problem using the SuperTough plate.

But as a very experienced shadetree (read old fart), but not really being an auto transmission guy, I'm not totally sure it is OK to modify the new plate as I've outlined, or if I'm getting ready to screw up a transmission. I am just old enough to finally know that I don't know it all. Just don't tell my wife.

I have also noticed other differences between the gasket from the Transaction kit and the OEM gasket as well, but as far as I've been able to tell at this point, where there are holes in the Transaction gasket that DON'T exist on the OEM gasket, there are also NOT holes in either of the plates. So I account for that as simply being options for the range of years that the gasket is designed to cover.

Hopefully you 4r70w guru's can shed some light and alert me to any disasters in the making.

Thanks!
    2000 Grand Marquis
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee ...wifes...
    1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer ...6" lift, 33's, fun but a money pit...
    1987 Jeep Street Comanche #24 of 100 ...ya don't wanna ask unless you've got lots of time...

I am not sure why I didn't see this sooner. basically the 99-2000 valve body and separator plate are different from the 2001+ valve bodies and separator plates. What you are trying to do is NOT recommended.

did you ever the transmission back together?
    2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
    89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
    88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Working...
    X