Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Clarion head unit the the old girl....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Clarion head unit the the old girl....

Took a bit of doing because of I kept the football amp and the factory speakers (for the time being), but it works great. Ordered it through Crutchfield, and they were a BIG help with the install. Even though I have over 20 years installing car audio in my own cars, this proved to be a challange. Needless to say I am very happy with the results. Next step is replacing all the speakers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clarion.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	1300498
    1986 Grand Marquis - Current project
    1988 Lincoln Town Car - RIP

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me, Superman!" - Homer Simpson

Looks good. Is that big ball thing functional as a knob?

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

what year is your car and what made this such a challenge?
      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Think of the "Ball" in the middle as an old school iPod click wheel. It runs through all the functions of the unit and also you can turn it for volume. It came with a great little remote that does everything the "Ball" does as well.

The challenge came with using the factory amp. I originally told crutchfield that I didn't have a factory amp in the car. Mostly because I figured that a car of that age, and one with such a crappy analog stereo couldnt possibly have an amp. So when they sent the new head unit I soldered and heat shrunk all the wiring and hooked it up I had no sound. So I got into the trunk (literarily) and low and behold there ws the football in the top left hand corner behind a panel. So I got back on the horn and they told me I needed a low line converter. So I ordered that. It finally got here. I once again soldered and heat shrunk everything and installed it. No sound. Got back on the horn one more time and one of Crutchfield's install techs and I worked through the problem. Turned out I didnt need the converter in the first place and all the positive wires from the head unit went to the positive in the new harness and then they shared a common ground that if I remember correctly (I'd have to look at my notes again) goes to the cassis. Did all that, hooked her up and.....SOUND!! I just shook my head and couldn't believe it. All that work for nothing. The cool part was the install tech refunded me my money right there on the spot and I got to keep a $30 line converter.
        So big shout out to Crutchfield. If you're going to buy car audio...Check them out!!

Oh and she's a 86 GM.

Heres a link to the Head unit on Crutchfield's site: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_020FZ50...isplay=Clarion
        Last edited by ImTheStig; 03-29-2013, 09:15 PM.
        1986 Grand Marquis - Current project
        1988 Lincoln Town Car - RIP

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me, Superman!" - Homer Simpson

Comment

Crutchfield goes out of their way to help their customers. I ordered some items about 10 days before a trip. The day before the trip, I called them as I had not received the items. They sent everything to me overnight without any additional charge !

Comment

Working...
          X