Vent windows or no vent windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vent windows or no vent windows

Out of curiosity....anyone know the years that vent windows were put on 2dr GM's? My 87 has them, so does my dad's 85, but he also had a 79 without them, which is what I prefer. I'm wondering if it's based on the years, or if it was purely an option.

Also, if I were to want to get rid of them, how involved is that? Are the doors the same between the 2 and only the internal window and window track need changed? Or would the whole door need replaced. If it's the 2nd of the 2 I'll just keep them...But if it can be done without finding the doors....

Okay to reiterate a bit, since his 79 was just a Marquis, not Grand due to them not being made until 83, would that be the reason? GM's had the vent windows and regular Marquis' did not? I would still like to know if they can be removed without a door swap.

Comment

Pretty sure all you would need is the glass. Three screws on the door frame and one screw behind the door panel and the vent window comes right out. New weatherstripping would be needed as well.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Vent windows were an option. I have a 90 CV that does not have them, however I have all the parts to put vent windows in that car. I asked someone here if 1990s had that option. I have not received a reply yet.
        I know it is a 4-6 hour job each side. All the glass, regulators, weatherstrips, stainless on the top of the door has to be replaced. It is actually easier to replace the whole door. I have decided to have either a glass shop or a body shop do this transition for me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
          Pretty sure all you would need is the glass. Three screws on the door frame and one screw behind the door panel and the vent window comes right out. New weatherstripping would be needed as well.
          New weather stripping is needed regardless I'm afraid. It's making some wind noise.

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
          Vent windows were an option. I have a 90 CV that does not have them, however I have all the parts to put vent windows in that car. I asked someone here if 1990s had that option. I have not received a reply yet.
          I know it is a 4-6 hour job each side. All the glass, regulators, weatherstrips, stainless on the top of the door has to be replaced. It is actually easier to replace the whole door. I have decided to have either a glass shop or a body shop do this transition for me.
          Is yours a 2 door? I could switch you doors

Comment

We have a thread made up for the new weatherstripping.

Tudors boxes only made from 79 to 87.
            ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I have both a 82 and 83 2 dr MGMs and a 90 CV 4dr. The window switch will be on the 90 4dr. Would the Mk VI 2 door windows with power vents work with a CV/GM ?

Comment

I feel like I should have known that about the 2dr. I'll look up that thread about weatherstripping

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Comment

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post524449
                  ~David~

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                    I have both a 82 and 83 2 dr MGMs and a 90 CV 4dr. The window switch will be on the 90 4dr. Would the Mk VI 2 door windows with power vents work with a CV/GM ?
                    highly unlikely. The glass probably wouldn't fit. Honestly the drop vents are functionally worthless. It looks neat, but unless your goal is to suck the cig smoke out, they're not nearly as practical as a real wing vent. To be honest if I could swap my drop vents for wing vents, I would. I don't really want to re-engineer the doors to make it work though.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

WHAT? I say window vents FOR THE WIN! Wish I had em on my 90gmq, I imagine it would make the chrome window vent shade things a little more effective if you ever get a set of those. Trying to modify the doors you have sounds like WAY too much effort for such a trivial thing, if you can't find a set of doors to switch then I'd just fugedaboutit. That's just me though.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloRider View Post
                        WHAT? I say window vents FOR THE WIN! Wish I had em on my 90gmq, I imagine it would make the chrome window vent shade things a little more effective if you ever get a set of those. Trying to modify the doors you have sounds like WAY too much effort for such a trivial thing, if you can't find a set of doors to switch then I'd just fugedaboutit. That's just me though.
                        That's basically what I was getting at. If it wasn't something as simple as taking out the vent windows and getting glass for a no vent window car and more or less pop it in, then I'd shy away from the idea. Finding good doors for a 2 door without the vents might be a task in itself.

Comment

I love mine... except when the latch was loose in the glass and would not seal tight, making terrible wind noise. I swapped mine out with a tight one, but you can cram a penny in the to get it to seal better in that situation....
                          I'd assume the regulators are the same and all you have to swap is glass+vent assembly. The frame of the vent glass extends into the door and functions as the guide for that end of the glass, and it just slides right into the window frame and is held in with sheet metal screws. Getting the 30 year old weatherstripping to take a new shape should be the only hard part, as long as you can drill rivets out of window glass. (if that's even required... I can't remember if you can slide the glass out of the regulator without removing whats attached to the glass...)
                          In theory one could also swap in the 79-style mirrors this easily too, but I don't think anyone's done it.

Last edited by 85crownHPP; 04-03-2013, 08:29 PM.
                          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                          sigpic
                          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Glad to know it can be done. I'll check into it more when I figure out how bad my frame rust situation is.

Comment

I'm having trouble finding the weather stripping thread....got a link?

Comment

Working...
                              X