X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1989 Lincoln not shifting into overdrivre

I was looking into getting a Lincoln.

http://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/3674189825.html

Its a nice car but when he e-mailed me back saying the transmission wont shift into overdrive, my heart sank.

I know trannys can be finnicky beats, but I wanted to see maybe perhaps it could be a small fix
    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
    -2011 Subaru Outback

3/4 clutchbands are toast. educated guess says the shift grommet need replacing and either another trans or a rebuild.
    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

I take it the 3/4 clutchbands engage the overdrive?

the guys says it has 64,000 miles on it. Can't believe a tranny would fail at that mileage. I asked him if it is oringally 64,000 miles

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

What he says,

"Original miles. I picked the car up from a customer of mine. He passed away. When driving and it shifts into overdrive it does not catch."

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
        -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Zoomie hit it on the nose most likely. A brand new AOD trans can fail if the TV grommet is missing or if it is severely out of adjustment.

Car looks nice, make a low ball offer and then get the trans fixed. AOD's aren't that expensive to rebuild, a member here was recently quoted a little under 1,000 IIRC.
          2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
          2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
          Past Panthers
          1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
          if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Would you consider 600 a legit low ball or too crazy for an offer?

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
            -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

me and a friend of mine just recently picked up an 88 TC with the same prob although we dont have reverse either. 750 for ours with 69k original. we were quoted 800 for pull rebuild and replace with what i remember to be lifetime warranty.. (i think) not to mention the usual stuff you do to a used car, IE brakes, filters, fluids and such. id say we'll have lil over 2K in ours after the trans, shocks and complete stereo.

long story short, for 600 plus the rebuild youd get a like new car. go for it!

and it keeps another box from an otherwise disappointing demise.
              Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
              Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
              Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

I'd say $600 is a good starting point for negotiations... but stop at $1000 out the door (taxes included) if they'll do that. much more than that, make them work for the sale.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thanks for the pointers! I will start from there! In addition, I'll ask him for more pics

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                  -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Working...
                  X