How rare?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How rare?

Seems like FoMoCo produced tens of thousands of Crown Vic and Grand Marquis in four door.

Any way to find out the production numbers of late 80's coupes?

I will say that a car with 150 BHP (302) and a weight of almost 4k............what were they thinkin in Dearborn?

I have a 1985, 13,673 2 door coupes were made that year
    WARNING: Above advise is based on actual experience or just plain common sense. In the event said advise is determined to be incorrect you are entitled to a full refund of exactly what you paid for it.lol
    85 LTD Crown Vic Coupe 302 CFI Dual Exhaust No Cats Thrush Welds
    pwr windows, locks, seat, antenna
    cruise, tilt, white on white, maroon interior

Comment

You'd be more hard-pressed to find a Town Coupe. They only made those for two years (for the Panther platform, at least).

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
      2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
      2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

Wagons have fairly low production number also... 90 and 91 IIRC were under 10K
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I haven't even seen a panther wagon or coupe since I bought my panther last august. I sure would looooove to get me a wagon one day, but by the time I can actually get one they'll be even harder to find.

Originally posted by L1011tristar17 View Post
          You'd be more hard-pressed to find a Town Coupe. They only made those for two years (for the Panther platform, at least).
          woah woah woah woah woah! There are 80's town car coupes?? How ignorant AM I?! Looks like I'll be doing some google image searches and loading my hard drive up with more panther pics lol!

Comment

80-81 only. The Mark VI coupe is a better looking car though if you ask me. Shorter wheelbase too, so they end up looking a bit less disproportionate.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

84-87 were all in the 10,000 range. I think as high as 15,000 and as low as 6,000, with a general downward trend. no coupes after 87. I can try to dig up the exact numbers, I have them in a book but I'm only near it on the weekends.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
              160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
              waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

I saw a 2 door townie once. I saw a flower car once too.

Haven't seen too many wagons or 2 doors on the road in a while though
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

There's a girl at my university that has an '86-'87 Crown Vic wagon. I've also seen a straight-piped '88-'91 Crown Vic in the same student parking deck.

Comment

The Mark VI coupe has the same wheelbase as the Crown Vic and Grand Marquis, right? I wouldn't mind driving a 4-door Mark VI. With today's narrow parking spaces I'd hate to deal with doors the length of an aircraft runway.

Comment

The Mark VI coupe has the same wheelbase as the Crown Vic and Grand Marquis, right? I wouldn't mind driving a 4-door Mark VI. With today's narrow parking spaces I'd hate to deal with doors the length of an aircraft runway.
                      they're not that bad. I had to DD my 2-door Mark for a year and didn't have any more trouble than with normal doors. Finding a space it actually fits in first is the key. Never attempt to squeeze into a compact car space with these... unless you take up 2.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I think it's safe to say that the 80/81 Town Coupe is the rarest Panther model. The lowest production for coupes was 1987 and as mentioned 90/91 wagons were fairly low production.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that 4 dr Mark VI were also fairly low production. Never understood why they even made them.
                        2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                        2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                        Past Panthers
                        1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                        if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Need number for the 1986 model year.
                          Originally posted by johnunit View Post
                          84-87 were all in the 10,000 range. I think as high as 15,000 and as low as 6,000, with a general downward trend. no coupes after 87. I can try to dig up the exact numbers, I have them in a book but I'm only near it on the weekends.

Comment

Yes, though honestly the longer wheel base 2 door is not any better as far as parking goes. Same door on both, the extra 3" of wheelbase is basically between the back edge of the door and the rear wheels. You still get the longer Lincoln nose so even the shorter Mark VI is bigger than a Vic.

The Mark VI existed to continue the old badging from the 70s. In 1980, you had 3 nearly identical cars. The Continental was the base model, and you could get a Continental Town Car or a Continental Mark VI. There was also a Conti coupe, Conti Town Coupe, and a Conti Mark VI Coupe, depending which trim level you wanted. They carried that through 81 as well. In 82, the Continental was a fox body car and entirely unrelated to the other cars. In 82 for a full size, you got a Continental Mark VI sedan or coupe or a Town Car, not the Continental Town Car and no Town Coupe. Same deal in 83. The Mark VI was replaced by the fox body Mark VII in 1984 and from that point onward it was just the Town Car on the full size platform. Lots of people don't get or don't like the Mark VI, but I personally think they are cool. Its basically just a Towncar with different lights though.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Neil R. Lipes View Post
                              Need number for the 1986 model year.
                              IIRC there's a whole super list of all panther info somewhere on this site that I'm sure has this stuff. I'm pretty sure that it was 6,559 1986 Crown Victoria coupes, and 5,610 Grand Marquis Coupes. 1986 was the second lowest year for 2 door production. Unfortunately rarity doesn't always equate to being valuable, but coupes are worth a little bit more to the right buyer. If $ value was you were looking for, I'd have to say that 1983-1987 2 doors don't really vary too much as far as "value" at this stage of the game, even though they made so few later on. Just as an interesting piece of info I'm almost positive that in the late late 1970's (and maybe the very early 80's idr) they were pumping out close to 100,000 of these coupes.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X