Aod Trans flush Confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aod Trans flush Confusion

So I dropped the trans pan of my 88 CVLX and cleaned it out replaced the seal, etc. I read before doing it that you add three quarts after reattaching the pan. Then after doing so, it would not shift like at all. Only drove it across the parking lot, as thats as far as I could make it. Then I read that you put in two quarts and then add up to another quart, making the service 3 quarts. Now I am reading that you add 4-5 quarts.

How many quarts do you add after servicing an Aod? This was just dropping the pan, not draining the converter.

1990 Colony Park, with HO swap.

Previously:
    1990 Lincoln Town Car Cartier.
    88 CVLX
    01 Marquis

as much as 10 quarts.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

In just the pan?

Previously:
      88 CVLX
      01 Marquis

Comment

Till it reads on the stick lol......and slymers right it could take a bunch till you get some color on the stick......
        Rodney Tolleson, me at the track.....future drag box racer!

Comment

Ok, so i probably did not put enough in?

Previously:
          88 CVLX
          01 Marquis

Comment

correct. Did you look at the stick? You do not want to overfill as the level will rise when the fluid is hot but you need to at least see it on the stick to start. If you do overfill a little bit, suck it out through the fill tube before going into regular service.
            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

So it does not need to be hot to even check it? Ugh, i dislike misinformation from autoparts places.

Thanks for the help.

Previously:
              88 CVLX
              01 Marquis

Comment

It does need to be hot to have the final correct level. Still in the circumstance you are in your starting point should be a little on the stick. You need to move the car and recheck, etc. till it moves ok with some on the stick. Then you need to get the final level with a hot tranny.
                03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

You should never drive it either. You add until you see it on the stick, shift D, N, R a few times leaving it in gear for a few seconds.. Put it in park, check the level. Repeat.
                  Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                    You should never drive it either. You add until you see it on the stick, shift D, N, R a few times leaving it in gear for a few seconds.. Put it in park, check the level. Repeat.
                    This is the way I do it.
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I added two quarts and it showed up on the stick.

So once its up to temp, I can leave it in park to check the fluid level? I was previously told it needs to be checked in drive.

Previously:
                      88 CVLX
                      01 Marquis

Comment

I've always checked it hot, in park, after doing what the wise men above suggest.

Pete
                        For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                        1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                        1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

some other older cars required the tranny be in drive, not these.
                          02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Probably tells you on the stick.....

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

normally you just want to make sure you cycle it through the gears to push out any air bubbles, but it doesn't need to be checked in drive. And yes, it does say as much on the stick, along with telling you to use Dexron II fluid. Feel free to use DexronIII/Mercon or Mercon V, though its generally a good idea to use one fluid or the other, not a mixture.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X