2001 GM misfiring - Parts store says it's a bad coil pack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2001 GM misfiring - Parts store says it's a bad coil pack

My 2001 GM that has been sputtering/missing for the past year has gotten much worse lately. Finally a CEL came on so I took it to Auto Zone. They scanned it and said the #1 cylinder has a bad pack. Ok, makes sense. But before I buy a pack I have been reading up on the topic, some say it may not be the pack but water/AF in the well. Is this a possible option? I'll buy and replace if it's needed but is it worth checking prior to buying the pack? Mind you, I don't have another car so if I disassemble and then need it, I'll have to bike about 10 miles round trip to the store (also not a problem cuz I bike to work 14 miles most days)

Next question is how do I go about replacing the pack, I've never done one before on an ignition type like this... with the rail and all. I am sure I can do it with the good prior knowledge. Apparently #1 is front left. Car has about 90k on it.

Thx in advance.
    '01 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 4.6L
    '01 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

These cars, from '98 on are WELL-known for misfiring due to bad coil-packs. Just replace the coil pack. It's much more likely than anything else.
    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/u...Number=2259797 Last post on the page. Go to it, son!
      Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

It would be my luck the CV site which I have been to before would give me an error here at work. (Interner Explorer issue) I'll check it when I get home. Thx dude!
        '01 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

Comment

Do read the whole post and yes number 1 is at the front of the car on the passenger side (on vehicles built for the USA, steering wheel on left) . That would be called the front right.
          Last edited by jaywish; 04-30-2013, 02:19 PM.
          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Will do.... Thx Jay!
            '01 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

Comment

Well hallelujah! The past year of progressively increasing sputtering (and procrastination) is gone! And all it took (besides the herky-jerky acceleration and bright yellow CEL) was for me to go to Auto Zone, mid-day & mid-week (when I knew they would be the least busy) and get the dude to scan it and discover the #1 cyl COP crapped out. So $45 spent on a Motorcraft COP, Autolite plug & some dielectric grease did the trick. But without that step-by-step I would probably have been fumbling my way through.

Many, many thanks for the CV reference guys! The job only took me like 20 min but saved me a ton of $$$ and most of all, the nagging headache everytime I drove the car.
              '01 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

Comment

wait until #8 craps out. set aside more than 20 minutes
                sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

nah... just need a 1/4 drive u-joint or flex head ratchet.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Or not run COPs.
                    Glad you fisked it!!

-ryan s.
                    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                    Originally posted by pantera77
                    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Working...
                    X