Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just Bought 1995 GS. Questions/Concerns.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just Bought 1995 GS. Questions/Concerns.

Hey Guys!

I'm having some problems with Janet. She's a 95 GS. Got her almost two weeks ago for $1300 with 69,200 miles on her. Red exterior with clearcoat peeling and tan interior. Here's my questions/concerns:

How do I know if she's a "base" car or if she has some options? I've looked online, no real help.
    I don't have the original hubcap key and it's hard to replace tires/hubcaps. (Got some newer fronts, very hard time). Can this be replaced?
    My check engine light is on and I need to pass the Ohio E-Check before I can get plates and registration. Supposedly it's my EGR Valve says the AutoZone guy and his OBD meter. Is this hard to change own my own? He claims it wouldn't be.
    How can I tell if my car has the air ride suspension? The front does seem to be a little lower than the rear of the car, like someone may have replace something.
    Anyone know about idler arms? I need a right one I've been told, as my steering wheel is off and they can't do the wheel alignment until that gets done.

Any common problems or anything I should look out for?
    I've attached a pic of her.
    I'm a college student so I hope she won't take too much of my money. From what I read, these cars are really good and pretty cheap to own.

Thanks!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	1995 GS.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	1300654

Howdy GMGS!

You can pass an echeck now if your check engine light is on, they stick it on the dyno like the good old days and as long as the exhaust is clean enough it still passes.

Here's how to clean the EGR: http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00015.html

Idler is easy. You can get a super cheap one online but it might die quick. I think this one looks interesting: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NORS-78-80-8...5523cd&vxp=mtr

Check out the pic then crawl under your car on the passenger side and look for it. It'll be bolted to the frame. It's a very straighforward job. Often though it means the pitman arm isn't far behind.

If your car has air suspension then it won't have metal rear springs, there will be rubber bladders instead.

Your hubcaps have that screw that holds them on? Once you get them out head down to the hardware store and buy regular bolts the same thread/length, problem solved

Gotta run. others will chime in. Congrats, and good luck.

Pete
    Originally posted by gadget73
    For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
    1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
    1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Put a touch of antiseize on the bolts before you install them.
      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Where abouts in Ohio are you?
        I got a idler arm from RockAuto.com for $11. Easy.
        EGR cleaning is gonna be a little bit more difficult. Especially because of the care needed to not break the tube coming from the exhaust manifold.
        Air ride: look for the rubber bags in the back, check for a "ON/OFF" switch on the left side in the trunk, check for a compressor under the air box.
        And I don't deal with hubcaps, so I have no useful info there.

-ryan s.
        08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
        03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
        97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
        94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
        73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
        12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
        Originally posted by pantera77
        Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Originally posted by Piece-it pete View Post
          Howdy GMGS!

You can pass an echeck now if your check engine light is on, they stick it on the dyno like the good old days and as long as the exhaust is clean enough it still passes.

Here's how to clean the EGR: http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00015.html

Idler is easy. You can get a super cheap one online but it might die quick. I think this one looks interesting: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NORS-78-80-8...5523cd&vxp=mtr

Check out the pic then crawl under your car on the passenger side and look for it. It'll be bolted to the frame. It's a very straighforward job. Often though it means the pitman arm isn't far behind.

If your car has air suspension then it won't have metal rear springs, there will be rubber bladders instead.

Your hubcaps have that screw that holds them on? Once you get them out head down to the hardware store and buy regular bolts the same thread/length, problem solved

Gotta run. others will chime in. Congrats, and good luck.

Pete
          Thank you!!!! That was very helpful!!!!
          Originally posted by jaywish View Post
          Put a touch of antiseize on the bolts before you install them.
          Thanks, will do!

Originally posted by SVT98t View Post
          Where abouts in Ohio are you?
          I got a idler arm from RockAuto.com for $11. Easy.
          EGR cleaning is gonna be a little bit more difficult. Especially because of the care needed to not break the tube coming from the exhaust manifold.
          Air ride: look for the rubber bags in the back, check for a "ON/OFF" switch on the left side in the trunk, check for a compressor under the air box.
          And I don't deal with hubcaps, so I have no useful info there.

-ryan s.
          I live in Cleveland. And thanks for the info!! I'm gonna try to look at some stuff tomorrow after work if possible. You guys are already a great help!!!

Comment

Working...
          X