Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speakers crackle when drivers side door is opened.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speakers crackle when drivers side door is opened.

Now this is a fucked up problem I got. Only and I mean ONLY when the drivers side door of my coupe is opened do I have loud crackly noises come from the cars speakers. Open passengers door and I have no problem. Turn on interior lights....again no problem. What the Heck?!

I really do not know what it could be. My first thought was that it was the courtesy lights wire laying over a speaker wire or something and causing the commotion but this does not happen with the p.side door or when turning on the interior lights.

Some background: feeding the speakers from an amp. Amp gets its inputs via rca's from the headunit preamp outputs.

Don't remember when I first noticed the problem, though it has been around for many years now.
    Last edited by 87gtVIC; 05-25-2013, 08:05 AM.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Wiring short at that door??

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

yeah sounds like a wire is shorting where it passes from door to body. Probably if you pull the kick panel and the door panel you can wiggle stuff around and get the same effect.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yea, open the door and let the tunes play, then wiggle the harness between the door and A pillar. The crackle should change if there is a wire issue.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Fuck....I guess I'll order up a new window channel molding (DON'T EVER BUY 30 year old NOS weatherstripping lol) and dick around with it then.

While doing the proposed tests will/can damage be caused to the speakers? They ALL crackle when the drivers side door is open. I don't want to accidentally kill them all.
          Last edited by 87gtVIC; 05-25-2013, 09:25 PM.
          ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Shouldn't cause any damage to the speakers - just wouldn't "overdrive" them with volume. If all the speakers crackle, perhaps it is a ground wire or if all the wiring goes through the drivers door the issues is there.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

likely to do more harm to the amp if something is grounding out that should not be.

why do you need new weatherstripping? the window channel molding doesn't need to come out or be destroyed in order to check out the speaker wiring
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

While the door panel is off I will just replace the waste of money NOS weatherstripping that is already showing signs of age.

One more thing to add....I have drivers door open and I push the door plunger the crackles go away. Does that narrow it down some as to what I am looking for?
                ~David~

Comment

might be the door switch is the problem then. Try unplugging it and see if the problem continues.

Comment

I'll give it a shot one of these days and report back.

If the problem does go away what would that actually be telling me?
                    ~David~

Comment

Door switch may be creating some sort of interference like a 60 Hz "hum". Worth a shot and then you can replace the switch later...

Comment

yeah, probably means the switch is arcing internally. If the lights flicker at all, that would also confirm that the switch is dinked.

Comment

Just plan on replacing head unit to new speaker and running new speaker wire to new speakers.
                          87' Lincoln Town Car Stars + Stripes. Explorer GT40P, Anderson B31 Cam, Shorty Headers, FRPP 1.6 Rockers, A9L, Sn95 T5 Trans, 3:55 Limited Slip, GNX Rear Springs, LSC Turbines, 1.5 wheelspacers, Full Custom Dual 2.5/Flowmasters, 00 P71 Airtube, 19lb calibrated Maf, Summit Alum Radiator, King Cobra Clutch, Short throw Shfter, Energy Susp Trans Mount,
                          Mods to come: Big Brake/Poly Front Swap, PI Front Swaybar, Addco 650 Rear Swaybar, Boxed Upper Rear Control Arms, 351/Alum Heads, FRPP Valve Covers,

Comment

Removing the switch as opposed to just pushing the switch would do what?

Again door closed no problem, door open I have problems. Door open with plunger pushed closed no problem. Just trying to wrap my head around how the switch could be causing the problem when the switch activated the lights when the door is opened and turns off the lights when the door is closed.

In my mind there seems to be an issue somehow related to the courtesy lights ONLY within the drivers side door. Rotating the headlamp knob to turn on the interior lights does not recreate the problem when the door is closed.

Door open: problems, door closed no problem. Door open plunger closed, no problems.
                            Last edited by 87gtVIC; 05-26-2013, 03:39 PM.
                            ~David~

Comment

The wires may be chafed in the conduit between the door and the body or in the kickpanel area. May just need some tape to seperate the wires.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X