Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is required, and is it worth it??

Greetings,
    Thinking of tossing the single exhaust in my '86 GM Tudor and going dual exhaust with some cherry bombs.
    What is involved, and can I eliminate the cats?
    The 302 is a joke, but maybe I could get a nice deep exhaust note with the duals.

All opinions welcomed!

best route is to find a good local shop that does exhaust. you should be able to get H-pipe duals for under $500 all told with expensive mufflers... with cheaper muffs, probably get out for about $350. The cats can be eliminated if your area doesn't check for them. Otherwise you'll need to get some high flow replacements (re: performance cats). If your area doesn't mess with the emissions stuff and you don't need the cats, just replace with pipe and remove the pipe that goes down to the cats. If you want to make the setup neat, replace the diverter valve that is at the engine end of the cat air pipe with one for a mustang.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Do I have to ash can the air pump?

Comment

You don't have to ash can the air pump, but I sure would. It will make the swap to duals easier.
        And you really don't need that thing and all the crap that goes with it any way.

Comment

dont have to, but its basically useless.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I am sort of pissed...........recently I paid $$$$$ for OEM pollution pipes that attach to the cats............I never knew I could cap them and toss the air pump!
            But I understand that to toss the pump I have to find a special bracket to be able to run the existing fan belt?

Before I do this project I would like to be able to determine what total parts I will need.
            Thanks for the education!

Comment

No special bracket is needed for the belt, since there are two there. One drives the important stuff(water pump, alt, p/s pump) and the other just drives the A/C and air pump. If you are deleting the A/C aswell, you have no issues. If you would like to keep the A/C, you just need to run a shorter belt.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
              1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
              1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
              2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
              2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Shorter belt is the 56 inch one.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I got a full dual exhaust from manifolds to tailpipe all gustom bent for $400. I supplied my own mufflers. Straight duals no crossover. Makes it easier to work on, and gives a choppier sound.
                  87' Lincoln Town Car Stars + Stripes. Explorer GT40P, Anderson B31 Cam, Shorty Headers, FRPP 1.6 Rockers, A9L, Sn95 T5 Trans, 3:55 Limited Slip, GNX Rear Springs, LSC Turbines, 1.5 wheelspacers, Full Custom Dual 2.5/Flowmasters, 00 P71 Airtube, 19lb calibrated Maf, Summit Alum Radiator, King Cobra Clutch, Short throw Shfter, Energy Susp Trans Mount,
                  Mods to come: Big Brake/Poly Front Swap, PI Front Swaybar, Addco 650 Rear Swaybar, Boxed Upper Rear Control Arms, 351/Alum Heads, FRPP Valve Covers,

Comment

loses power though and these motors are feeble enough to make that a very bad idea. The only thinng that is easier to do without the H pipe is remove the transmission, and iunno about you but thats not something I do often enough to plan my exhaust around.

Cheap way out is just buy a stock H pipe, left tail pipe, and the other muffler and just bolt the parts on. The Y pipe is swapped for the H and you add in the other bits. Done, no changes required to any of the crap up front and according to the stock literature its good for 10 hp and I think 20 ft/lb of torque. Better than stock mufflers (which is almost anything) should be good for a bit more than that.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Walker makes a full system for the 5.0..........everything............have to check on $$$$$$$

Comment

What do you mean by 'worth it' ??
                        Just putting on dual exhaust is not going to make the car faster, but if you want a sweet sound to come out of the pipes a nice system is worth the cash. Also this will pave the way for more minor performance mods like the stock HO swap, which a stock diameter dual exhaust will accommodate just fine.
                        Even just the HO upper intake and TB swap will wake it up some - I put these on my 85 when I did the SEFI conversion and it is definitely peppier than my other two which have dual exhaust.
                        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                        sigpic
                        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Just looking for a nice mellow sound...........if I can't have a big block under the hood........then lets pretend with some nice exhust tunes;-)...speaking of under the hood...........it was a real beech changing all the heater hoses............no way can do with the plenum in place.....may have to change the heater core..........now that is a freaking BITCH!

Comment

the dual exhaust is worth 10hp from the factory

you can attack this from several ways, a stockish cat back dual exhaust, or headers and H pipe from a mustang or custom from an exhaust shop.

the stock duals can be done for under 200 bucks.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

hey man, what do you think having the straight duals with cherrybombs does for performance? Anything? i also have a kn air filter, id appriciate your imput!

Comment

Working...
                              X