1993 grand marquis fuel pump??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1993 grand marquis fuel pump??

hello! i am a woman... i know NOTHING about cars... lol... but we bought the car in february... since then have replaced the altenator, the brake pads, the passenger caliper and now the starter... i paid a guy to put the starter in about a week ago... he then tells me that it still wont start... thats its turning over now but wont start... and he thinks its the fuel pump, so they bring it back to my house and my dad looked in the owner book and saw that you could press the button on the left side on the trunk and it would start... low and behold my car was running again! running smooth as ever but the sound of it turning over wasnt the same as it used to be.. ran good for 2 days and now i just went to get in it and it wont start.... my battery is fine all my light come on but there is NOTHING... no click no turning over no nothing... someone please help me out and give me some advice or tell me what you think it might be..thank you!

turn the key on but don't crank. if you can here a hum from the rear of the car (window down will help), the fuel pump is fine. Most probable issues are starter relay, or fuse. check the fuse box under the hood for the fuse and the relay should be there too. The relay may also be on the other side in the group of 4 near the firewall. I can't remember which at the moment.

could also be the ignition switch on the bottom of the column.

if the key moves freely and doesn't feel like it has any resistance like it did before, then the actuator rod needs to be fixed. That is a major pain because you have to disassemble the steering column tilt mechanism. Usually it's the metal pin that joins the two sections of the actuator and can be repaired by someone with mechanical means and know-how without any parts.
    Last edited by sly; 06-06-2013, 11:23 AM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The fuel pump and PCM relay are on the drivers side fender.
      Check the fuses like Slymer said. It's right behind the battery. If you take the lid off, on the inside of the lid, it's labeled as to which fuses are what.

I had a similar issue, except it was a bad circuit in the PCM. I should have changed the PCM, but I just jumped the PCM relay. The bad part is that I installed a switch that I have to turn on before I start my car everytime.
      NOT RECOMMENDED.

+1 to the ignition switch too.

I'll add more later.

-ryan s.
      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
      Originally posted by pantera77
      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

well guys, i went out and tried to start it again... had a hard time starting but once it turned on it was fine... except i have half a tank of gas and when i turned it on it went all the way to empty (gas light was on) and slowly went back up to half tank.... so weird... but i turned it off and turned it back on and it was fine... any idea now?? lol

Comment

loose ground wire back near the tank (or corrosion/rust that needs to be cleaned off) for the fuel pump/gauge. I can't remember exactly where it attaches. Ryan probably knows though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

let me know because i have no idea what im looking for lol

Comment

my dad thinks it might be the ignition switch??

Comment

it might be, through that's rarely the problem on 92+ cars.the only reason I replaced the one in my 93 vic is because the screw support in the center broke off while I was fixing some crap wiring from a cheap alarm system that no longer worked. From the symptoms you describe, it's either poor wiring to the battery/starter/fuel pump or a flaky relay.

Comment

Originally posted by samantha View Post
                  well guys, i went out and tried to start it again... had a hard time starting but once it turned on it was fine... except i have half a tank of gas and when i turned it on it went all the way to empty (gas light was on) and slowly went back up to half tank.... so weird... but i turned it off and turned it back on and it was fine... any idea now?? lol
                  I've seen if you're trying to crank with a low battery it will take some time for the fuel gauge to come back up to where it's supposed to go. Happened to me with my 92 Grand Marquis.

Comment

Working...
                  X