Normal Or Excessive Rust on a 95 GS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Normal Or Excessive Rust on a 95 GS?

I was talking to my cousin about Janet and he knows a good deal about cars. He went and looked her over and said she's got excessive rust, even for the year and that wasn't a good thing. He thinks I should just use Janet for the summer and then sell her before I go back to school this August (Senior at Miami University in Oxford, OH. Don't need a car there) and keeping her would mean spending a good deal more than I should. I got her for $1,300. She's a 95 with 69k miles, but she seems to have sat for a great deal of time and now that's playing against her. What do you guys think? Is that normal rust or is it a sign she should just stick around for the summer? I've put some money into her already to replace her power steering fluid leak and still need to get something done to the EGR valve, a new idler arm and an oil pan soon. And I also smell gas, but there's no leak.

I've attached some pics as well.

Thanks!
    Attached Files

those upper control arms look rough, but look to still be solid enough, the ball joints and adjusters/nuts look like rather scary though. I've seen way worse driving down the road though. I also know better cars can be had. as for the gas smell, check for wetness around the filler neck (look inside the driver side rear wheel well) at the top and at the tank. I have a very slight leak at the tank on my 93 that I just discovered today that I'll attempt to attend to before too terribly long.

I'd say your cousin has a good idea given your situation regardless of the rust.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

this is a typical northern ohio car.....especially one that has been driven in salt, and was never kept clean(never washed underneath)

Comment

I would not call that "excessive rust." excessive is holes. Everything in the pics is surface but solid looking. The ball joints and maybe the control arm should be replaced and everything else can be cleaned and preserved very easily. Rust converter/reformer is great stuff! Follow with primer and epoxy enamel.

Just depends on if you want to correct the problem before it gets outta hand.
        sigpic
        GrandestMarquis

Comment

The floor pans from underneath look worse than my 89 which has some good sized holes in the rear quarter panels. You say that is seems to have sat for some time, it must have been sitting in someones yard, cars seem to rust a lot faster underneath when sitting in grass.
          My 91 sat for something like 6 years but in a barn on concrete, and is in better shape than my 89.

I've seen worse, but if you put it through another winter or 2, (without any kind of rust treatment or something) the rust may get to the point that you would have a hard time selling it.

That battery could also use a good cleaning.
          Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

It's a 20 year old car from the salt belt, I wouldn't say it's excessive. I also wouldn't set any long term goals for it or sink much money into it either.
            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Drive it till it drops, but don't sink big cash into it. The floor pans look pretty crappy. I wouldn't have great hopes for the frame or the fuel or brake lines in the normal fail spots either.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Okay, thanks guys. How much would you say is too much to put into her? So far I got some newer used tires for $80 and the power steering fluid leak cost $275. If I get the ilder arm fixed, a wheel alignment ( required, plus my steering wheel is wayyyy off) and the tires balanced (the car is.....off...), I got a quote for $250. I'm hoping after this, it should be alright for a while.....

Comment

I would not put too much money into that car. Sell it be before kids go back to school. Put your money into a rust free car. It does not have excessive rust for rustbelt cars but any rust is too much .

Comment

too much would probably be about half of what you bought the car for at this point. A wheel alignment may not be possible with the upper control arm adjusters so rusty. They may not turn and may require upper control arms and ball joints to get it to an adjustable state. If the idler arm is junk, replace that and go. It'll help the steering stabilize and you'll have not sunk much into the car. Sell it when you're done with it for a little more than you paid for it (if everything works on it - AC/power accessories/etc) you can probably sell it for 1500 with a 2000 obo sticker on it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                      too much would probably be about half of what you bought the car for at this point. A wheel alignment may not be possible with the upper control arm adjusters so rusty. They may not turn and may require upper control arms and ball joints to get it to an adjustable state. If the idler arm is junk, replace that and go. It'll help the steering stabilize and you'll have not sunk much into the car. Sell it when you're done with it for a little more than you paid for it (if everything works on it - AC/power accessories/etc) you can probably sell it for 1500 with a 2000 obo sticker on it.
                      Sounds like a plan. Thanks! You guys are really helpful on here! I'll keep ya posted!!!

Comment

Just ask that the shop look very closely at the brake lines to see if they are in decent shape. If they are lumpy and scaly, they should probably be replaced before they fail, which they will do eventually.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                        X