No announcement yet.

2003 LS Ultimate medium-pitch hum coming from behind/below right-side rear seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2003 LS Ultimate medium-pitch hum coming from behind/below right-side rear seat

Hello Everyone,

Has anybody had experience with a medium-pitch hum/whine coming from behind the right rear-seat area in a 2003 LS Ultimate. It begins on startup and doesn't really seem to increase its frequency upon raising the revs.

I've only had the car for about three weeks, and I think this noise may just have started. Other than this, this car with 133K really impresses me. Has better road manners than many of my hi-po cars from the seventies and is almost as fast. Much more comfortable also.

Thank you for any suggestions you can throw my way.

Sounds like normal fuel pump noise to me. Maybe try changing the fuel filter and see if it quiets down. May be getting clogged up causing the pump to work harder to maintain pressure. Never really noticed it on my 03 LX Sport, but then again I could just be tuning it out, lol..
    These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

it's probably the noise of the air suspension pumping up. Just sit with it idling and try not to move around and see if it shuts off eventually.

You can see if it's the fuel pump by turning the key to the on position but not to the crank position, listen for the fuel pump hum. If you hear the hum and then it shuts off, that's the fuel pump priming/pressurizing your system. At least I think it shuts off.

I know the older cars the fuel pump can be really whiney/hum loudly.
      Last edited by sxcpotatoes; 06-07-2013, 02:58 PM.
      Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Thank you FordMan77,

This makes sense to me, I'll give it a try.

Comment

Thank you sxcpotatoes,

I'll give this a shot. I see you have an LS Ultimate also. Great car!

Comment

Working...
          X