aod wr conversion questions..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

aod wr conversion questions..

I'm getting ready to take the tranny to the shop.

Has anyone had any issues w/the stock v-body & wide ratio setup?

How about w/a transgo hp shift kit?

I don't have the time or money to deal w/unexpected issues...

Thanks Guys

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

stock valve body doesn't like the WR gear set. The 2-3 shift will be waayyy early. I fought with mine for several months before I finally bought a Lentech valve body.

you might want to talk to Dan/silverfox over at Clickclickracing, he seems to be making excellent valve bodies at reasonable prices.
    2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
    89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
    88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Originally posted by 88grandmarq View Post
      stock valve body doesn't like the WR gear set. The 2-3 shift will be waayyy early. I fought with mine for several months before I finally bought a Lentech valve body.

you might want to talk to Dan/silverfox over at Clickclickracing, he seems to be making excellent valve bodies at reasonable prices.
      This! I drive a stock valvebody in my WR trans. the 1-2 is way late to compensate for the early 2-3. but 3-4 hits on the money. It's definitely a weird setup this way. Would be way better to have a silverfox VB in there.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

here is the silver fox valve body page

http://silverfoxtrans.com/silverfoxt...om/VB_AOD.html

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Any thoughts?

http://www.clickclickracing.com/foru...d-wr-questions

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

essentially, get the modified valve body that you have to wire a OD lockout switch for (see 86vicky's thread about that) if you want to go WR for more butt dyno feel, but it might be better to build your bottom end first so that you can see what that does before biting the WR bullet.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

I run the low gear set in Creamy for years now. In Drive it will often shift early 2 to 3 if I get on it also us e a lentech valve body brb
              Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
                I run the low gear set in Creamy for years now. In Drive it will often shift early 2 to 3 if I get on it also us e a lentech valve body brb
                Even with the stock trans it did it. With the engine all stock it didnt. At some point slowly adding power to engine build it began doing the eary 2 -3 shift more often but not all the time. beefing up the engine more and more noticed it started to happen at lesser amounts of throttle and almost every time if it was just floored in a low gear. Began to think it had something to do with "shocking" the govener "slammig" it if you will because of the increase in power. Always wanted to try the Mustang gov but havent found one. I have the metal valve part stored away but not the part that sliips over the trans output shaft.
                The part that slips over the shaft maybe the most important part. In a panther it has a big knob on it the Mustang almost round. Wounder if there are weights inside it or if the knob could be ground down. If I had an extra panther one I would cut it open to see. Any rate would the Mustang unit stop the early 2-3 shift. BTW have also had some early 1-2 shifts to were it goes from 1-2-3 real quick. Holding gears is no issue though.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                  essentially, get the modified valve body that you have to wire a OD lockout switch for (see 86vicky's thread about that) if you want to go WR for more butt dyno feel, but it might be better to build your bottom end first so that you can see what that does before biting the WR bullet.
                  The aod in it is dead, I haven't driven the car in over 3 yrs.I just don't want make the mistake (AGAIN!) of making the car "better" & turning it into something that is not fun to drive unless it is hammered....Also this may becoming a moot point as my wife was in the hospital recently, the bill may eat all my discretionary funds anyway...

Comment

were does mitymec live

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
                      were does mitymerc live
                      Pa
                      Last edited by mitymerc; 06-28-2013, 02:30 PM.

Comment

too far to pic up one of mine just find a used one for now if you need it running.

Comment

in that case... go for the butt-dyno... the hole shot with the WR trans is awesome. That low end grunt is fun to play with. Might get someone's 4r70w and load in the vic if I ever get a chance. the lower 1-2 would definitely help that one get moving.

Comment

I have one out of a 96 mustang for 200.00

Comment

Originally posted by mitymerc View Post
                              I agree... with a 4.10 gear you don't really need a WR trans. save yourself some trouble and money.

Comment

Working...
                              X