Georgia trans rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Georgia trans rebuild

I had the privilege of working on a local Georgia Crown Vic recently, A very clean 2002 black LX sport with 82K on the odometer. The owner of the car says he found the transmission dipstick not seated in the filler tube (raised about 2") about 4-5 months ago and after that the transmission started shuttering, then eventually stopped going in any forward gear. Fortunately, he stopped driving the car and trailered it to me. The transmission came out of the car with out incident, other than 3 of the 4 exhaust flange bolts breaking.

Once I got the transmission apart, I found the intermediate and direct clutches were delaminating, the forward clutches were burned and the OD band was burned and starting to pit.

The friction material peeled off the clutch discs like wet paper, I have never seen anything like it.

Intermediate clutch

Clutch Delamination - AKA wet paper

Direct clutches

OD Band

there was some evidence of water in the fluid and the case, most of the water I found was in the pan and the extension housing.

I also found evidence the output speed sensor had contacted the ring gear on the output shaft, damaging the sensor.

The direct clutch piston showed some signs wear on the inner face where the seal rides, there was also some machine markings that did not polish out, I replaced the piston with a good used piston.

The valve body was completely disassembled and cleaned. The seperator plate also showed signs of water intrusion (mild rust build up). I cleaned and drilled the seperator plate according to Jerry's specifications (Jmod) and installed updated Sonnax shift valves.
    The stock pressure regulator valve showed moderate wear.

Knowing that owner of this car will soon be doing the MZT and having Lonnie tune the car, I chose to drill the #2 hole (controls 1-2 shift) in the separator plate with a #39 drill bit (measures .0995") and install the Lt blue upper and Purple lower 1-2 accumulator springs. The rest of the holes in the separator plate, I drilled with a 7/64" drill (.1094") The shift is more responsive now, but not harsh. Personally, I think it could be more crisp, but it should improve once the tune from BOC is installed.

I did some lubrication modifications while putting it back together. The Stator has 3 feed holes for the Intermediate one way roller clutch, Intermediate clutch and reverse clutch. those 3 holes were enlarged to 3/32" or .093". I also made the feed holes on the direct drum snout larger, these holes were increased to 1/16". Enlarging these holes improves lubrication to the sun gear and related bushings, which have a high failure rate under heavy use.

Going back together, the transmission got new rubber seals and gaskets, new high energy direct and intermediate clutches, new forward clutches, new reverse clutches and new OD band. I removed the wave plate in the forward clutch and increased it to 6 clutches. This will improve the torque capacity of the transmission. I also installed a spiral snap ring on the mechanical diode intermediate one way clutch. The intermediate one way clutch and the reverse drum see very high RPM in 3rd gear and the OEM snap ring is notorious for getting flung off at this high RPM. The new spiral ring has an outer retainer that you crimp or stake when its assembled, so the spiral ring isn't going anywhere, even at high RPM.

Everything assembled correctly, the end clearance was with in specifications and all the clutches passed an air test, with the Air test plate installed.

The transmission installed with out any serious problems. I filled it with 14 qts of Mercon V and went for a test drive. All 4 gears engaged properly but I immediately noticed there was no lock up. 10 miles later the CEL light came on and OD Light started flashing, a quick scan of the codes revealed codes p0741, p1740 and p1744, which confirmed the TCC solenoid wasn't working. I let the car cool for an hour, dropped the pan and swapped the TCC solenoid with a spare, refilled with fluid and test drove again, confirming Lock up was working.

I delivered the car to the owner on Tuesday. He is currently working with Lonnie to get the car tuned, then he will installing a Marauder air box assembly, Zip tube and 75mm throttle body.
    Last edited by 88grandmarq; 06-28-2013, 09:04 PM. Reason: Added pictures
    2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
    89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
    88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

wow... that one was beat. water no good.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

That looks like a fun mess. How did the water get in, through the dipstick tube?
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        That looks like a fun mess. How did the water get in, through the dipstick tube?
        that's the current theory

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
          wow... that one was beat. water no good.
          Actually, it wasn't that bad. There was NO hard part damage, other than what I documented.

Comment

beat... not destroyed... I'm thinking that my AODE needs a j-mod or clutches. It's very slippy in first sometimes.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

beat... not destroyed... I'm thinking that my AODE needs a j-mod or clutches. It's very slippy in first sometimes.
              "slippy" ? is that a teknikal term?

J-mod wouldn't hurt.

There is also an update pressure regulator valve and spring for the 92-95 AODE transmission. the OEM spring was too weak and cause low line pressure.

http://www.sonnax.com/system/announcement/76948-06.pdf

I would install all 3 parts, 76948-01, 76948-02k and 76948-06

http://www.sonnax.com/product-lines/...uct_line=trans

Comment

Water can get in the breather vent at the rear of the trans. Just have to go through a deep puddle. If you know about it in time it can be flushed. Takes a few cases of fluid though.
                Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by 88grandmarq View Post
                  "slippy" ? is that a teknikal term?

J-mod wouldn't hurt.

There is also an update pressure regulator valve and spring for the 92-95 AODE transmission. the OEM spring was too weak and cause low line pressure.

http://www.sonnax.com/system/announcement/76948-06.pdf

I would install all 3 parts, 76948-01, 76948-02k and 76948-06

http://www.sonnax.com/product-lines/...uct_line=trans
                  I wonder if this was done when I had the trans rebuilt in 06 (doubtful since the car takes a while to engage forward gears when cold).

Of course swapping in a 4r70w would cure all that since it could be gone through first and have all proper mods applied.

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
                    Water can get in the breather vent at the rear of the trans. Just have to go through a deep puddle. If you know about it in time it can be flushed. Takes a few cases of fluid though.
                    The owner of the car is fairly religious about washing/detailing his car. my theory is the dipstick wasn't seated in the tube properly, he didn't know it and ended up with water in the transmission.

there was only small amount of water in the pan and extension housing, just enough to dilute the already old/dirty fluid.

Comment

I wonder if this was done when I had the trans rebuilt in 06 (doubtful since the car takes a while to engage forward gears when cold).

Of course swapping in a 4r70w would cure all that since it could be gone through first and have all proper mods applied.
                      taking a while to engage when cold could be caused by several things. installing a 4R70W can be done, but would require a transmission harness change or swapping some pins around to match the newer internal harness.

Comment

that was done to the 01 harness that's on there now to get it to work with the AODE... so meh.

probably just get the VB taken care of like you suggested first though.

Comment

Working...
                        X