Tranny question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tranny question

I am looking at an aod that has been sitting in a barn attached to an engine for 6-7 years. It was pulled from a wrecked 86 ltd with 70k. my question is would sitting all that time hurt a otherwise good (presumably) transmission? I would like to put it in my 87 marq.
    1989 crown Vic daily driver 165k and counting!
    1987 MGM 49xxx mi awaiting light resto

It would probably need a soft parts rebuild (clutches/filter/fluid) if anything. Valvebody stuff may be a little sticky too.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I have been trying to solve this problem on the cheap for nearly a year. I should just pony up for a rebuild the car only has 50k original. I just find it hard to part with the 800 bucks,getting tight in my middle age!

Comment

I'd actually be a little concerned about an $800 rebuild unless the shop has a good reputation. I've seen a lot of cheapo AOD rebuilds, and many didnt work very well at all.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

What is a good price for aod rebuild? Stock rebuild with shift improver kit. I plan on keeping this one stock.

Comment

Prices seem to vary across the country. By me in New York it would cost ~1700 to have the transmission rebuilt.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Holy crap! That's a lot of cheddar, jack! I live in middle America hopefully I can find a better deal.

Comment

I had one done for about 800, but it was a side job by a guy who does them for a living. Going rate at a shop probably would have been about 1300, and that was 7 years ago. Just check around about their reputation. The AOD is notoriously cranky about bad rebuilds, and they do not last very long unless its assembled properly.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

around here... ~1000 for a full rebuild (bearings, bands, clutches) at a good place. ~1400 at the chains. Wide ratio gear swap will put you back close to ~2000 though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

The 800 dollar quote I had was with me removing the aod and reinstalling does that make it any more reasonable?

Comment

That sounds about right then. They generally charge about $200 just for removal and install of the trans from the vehicle.

Comment

Working...
                      X