Tough To Read Dash...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tough To Read Dash...

Just a small annoyance but the digital dash on my '95 is difficult to impossible to read during the day especially with bright sunshine. Anybody find a "work around"?? Possibly some sort of "shield?? Thanks....Bobby

P.S. Brightness is up to the highest.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Bobby maybe having your windows tinted would help out?
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Dave, they are and DARK! Good idea, though to keep the cabin darker. Got to figure something out....Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

You gotta get out of that Florida sun!
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

no chance your displays are dimmer than they should be is there? Don't know how exactly those operate but I know the older Towncar and Mark VII digital displays are a VFD, and those get dimmer as the power supply parts break down. Would not apply if its an LED display, those don't really degrade like that.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

My dash was tough to read at nights (analog dash) and I found out the dash lights can dim and brighten if you twist the headlight knob. I don't know if it would be similar for your car.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
            2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
            2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

Dash is all digital and lights are as bright as they can get. Night time is fine but during the day the brightness of the Florida sun washes out the dash so it is REALLY tough to see anything on the dash. Dave's probably right - got to get out of the Florida sun!!

Comment

if those use bulbs like the tripminders do they could be burning out. The trip minder uses like grain of wheat bulbs. Dont know the wattage or voltage of them they are also solidered in. Got one the bulb is black one day I will look into repairing it.
                Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

I think the digital displays are vacuum fluorescent displays in the older cars and LED in later models. There should be a way to decrease the resistance from the 12V feed to the display to allow brighter operation. There may actually be a potentiometer on the display to adjust that. This would require removing said display and adjusting that. I have no clue if that's the case as I don't have one to tear apart and find out, though I have all the power supplies needed.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Not sure it is really a display issue more of a "too much light hitting the display" issue. At night, the display looks really good and bright!

Comment

stop wearing the chrome suit?

finding a way to shade it would be the next option I guess. Probably the light is from the front windshield? a tint strip across the top might solve it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Going to try the "shade thing" or stop wearing those "Miami Vice" suits!!

Comment

My 04 washes out if the sun is hitting it just right. Not much you can really do about it as far as I know. I try to keep the lens nice and clean and that helps a bit.
                          2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                          2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                          Past Panthers
                          1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                          if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Have it polished with Meg's Plastic Polish. Doesn't really help the "wash out" issue.

Comment

Do you wear glasses?
                              '79 Continental Town Car
                              '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                              '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Working...
                              X